• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Built a new grow box

So we travelled 750 kms over the weekend to visit the father in law, and he's pretty handy with tools, so I asked if we could build a grow box so I could take it home.

I had won a LED light on ebay, but hadn't realised how long the fixture actually was until after I had won the auction. 153cms in fact, and I knew I had nothing long enough to put the light in, so the idea of building a grow box was born.

Just googled some instructions, and of course found a million for marijuana growing, so picked one of those. Finished product now looks like this:

IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg

Dimensions are 165cm x 75cm x 75cm. The LED light fixture recommends hanging about 50cm above the canopy, it's only a 45W light, so we'll see how that goes.

I reckon I could fit about 90 x 10cm pots in there, here's hoping.

LED grow light tech sheet: Philips GreenPower LED production module

MM,

Good luck with this. I have become dis-enamored with LED lights, though at least yours seem to add some wide spectrum wavelengths. My grow tests, so far, show they are simply not ready for prime time, though I would love to be proved wrong!

Mike

Good luck with the box. Make sure you line the entire inside with reflective material to increase the light absorption by the plant. I've never used LED mainly because I want a "maximum yeild" and can get HID light much much cheaper, but I'm sure you will get good results.

Good luck with the box. Make sure you line the entire inside with reflective material to increase the light absorption by the plant. I've never used LED mainly because I want a "maximum yeild" and can get HID light much much cheaper, but I'm sure you will get good results.

Yep, going to paint it flat white.

It's only for seedlings anyway, once they are big enough they'll go outside when the weather is warmer.

I look forward to seeing your grow! I'm still looking for that perfect way of starting plants, especially ones I want to sell. Short, squatty plants that are only six inches tall but have 12 sets of leaves!

Next spring, I plan on starting plants upstairs but once they germinate and get large enough to transplant (~3") move the trays to the Greenhouse. 192 square feet of space and by mid April, I'm getting more than enough light for seedlings. I would like to add one of those automatic, temp-controlled, hydraulic window openers but use it on the door instead. Have it start opening the door once temps get above 60 degrees.

Mike

I look forward to seeing your grow! I'm still looking for that perfect way of starting plants, especially ones I want to sell. Short, squatty plants that are only six inches tall but have 12 sets of leaves!

Next spring, I plan on starting plants upstairs but once they germinate and get large enough to transplant (~3") move the trays to the Greenhouse. 192 square feet of space and by mid April, I'm getting more than enough light for seedlings. I would like to add one of those automatic, temp-controlled, hydraulic window openers but use it on the door instead. Have it start opening the door once temps get above 60 degrees.

Mike

If you want short squatty plants, you might want to look at ceramic metal halide. I might take some photos of the 40 odd plants I have in my tent in the garage under a 400W CMH as they all seem to meet the criteria you are looking for.

MM,

I'm not ready to invest in the ceramic metal halides - I grow seedlings to sell and make a bit of money!

But a question - how warm is your garage? Last winter, I had a tom I grew under a 105 watt, 5000K CFL bulb and was very impressed with the growth and more importantly, the very short internode length. But the upstairs was unheated, getting only ambient heat which meant it stayed mostly below 60 degrees. I have learned that avoiding lots of water, heat and nuits produce great seedlings. Now, if I can just put this into practice!

Mike

Back