• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Bulk topsoil

SadisticPeppers

Business Member
Seeing as, in about two months or so, I'll be able to increase the number of plants I can grow by quite a bit, I was wondering if there were any recommendations on bulk soil. I know Home Depot has 40lb bags of topsoil for $1.25 a bag, which to me, seems like not too bad of a price, but if I needed to get the soil in bulk, where would be the best places to go, etc.

1.40 a bag,you might think thats a good deal but when you have to get 10 or more yards at a time you will see how expensive that is.youre going to want to find your local dirt people. they will have several mixes and will do custom mixes for you. i use stearns. i would ask the local nursery who they get there medium from maybe?

compmodder26 said:
You should look up local landscape centers.  They usually sell topsoil by the cubic yard.
if you can you want to skip them though they are just a middle man. unless of course they also have a dirt mill as stearns does.

i got a whole trailer load form the Mushroom farm locally for 5 BUX! loaded all my beds and have a Huge pile left over for my potting coming up, top soil is mostly filler dirt to me

downsized_0727031342_zpsde9d231f.jpg

if you are going to be growing in buckets you will want something besides fill dirt.  ive been trying to get my mixture just right. stearns has a mix that they sell to all the blueberry u pick farms. and its been working pretty good for my bucket medium. its a little chunky have been thinking of have them grind it up finer. ive tried and mixed everything they have just cant get my self satisfied. the main thing will be make sure the medium gives you proper drainage.

threehundred i would not call that fill dirt. that looks nice. fill dirt is full of rocks and gatorade bottles :rofl:further looking it looks like there is rocks on the ground?  anyways what kind of mushroom farm? im actually a mycology fan and would love to go take a look at that place.looks like a very big operation.

Back