• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sun Burn off Sunday

Over the years, I have accumulated lots and lots of lumber. A piece of a 2x4 here, pieces of plywood, a few feet of unused paneling or molding. Add it all up and it is enough to make a small bonfire that will burn for six hours or more.

So that's what I did. Made a bonfire and once it started burning great, and had a nice pile of embers, placed all kinds of cast iron skillets, pots and even a lid in it.

Been watching the orange, green and blue flames lapping around the skillets and seeing the iron turn red. Once these skillets and pots cool down, are cleaned and seasoned, I'll have skillets better than any teflon coated one made!

Mike

Some of our friends swear by cast iron for cooking, even on a regular burner. I just know they're expensive and heavy as hell. Maybe next year we'll get a skillet and try some fire pit cooking with it.

caroltlw said:
I just know they're expensive and heavy as hell. Maybe next year we'll get a skillet and try some fire pit cooking with it.

Maybe costs a bit more but they will never, ever, wear out. Mine are probably 60 years old or older (mom gave me hers, some which she got as a wedding present in 1946).

Mike

wordwiz said:
Maybe costs a bit more but they will never, ever, wear out. Mine are probably 60 years old or older (mom gave me hers, some which she got as a wedding present in 1946).

Mike

That's assuming I don't lose them or something. :rolleyes:
Saw a really nice cast iron reversible griddle thingee at Target the other day too. Oh, and a stone mortar and pestle. I have quite a wish list going.

caroltlw said:
Some of our friends swear by cast iron for cooking, even on a regular burner. I just know they're expensive and heavy as hell. Maybe next year we'll get a skillet and try some fire pit cooking with it.

Cast iron is where it's at. On regular burner you get even heat since they are so thick and heavy, they heat evenly. Plus you can get them up to ridiculous temperatures and sear steaks inside :). And if you pay more than $20 for a 12" cast iron skillet, you're getting ripped off. Cast iron skillets are one of the few things that the cheaper they are, generally the better.

I have a mean cast iron skillet apple pie recipe somewhere I really need to post. Oh, and corn bread. Holy crap. You haven't had cornbread til you've had it out of a cast iron skillet.

Also, you never have to wash it. Just run it under water while it's still hot and scrub it with either a bamboo brush or just a piece of paper towel held between some tongs. Then toss 'er back on the burner to dry and oil it down.

Back