Burnt charred material on one bulb and the fixture

I just moved my hanging T-5 fixture a little to move the hanging cord.  I checked the lights as they sometimes come loose when I move the fixture.  I noticed one of the lights wasn't on and it was hanging low because it wasn't properly seated in the 2 slots.  Then I noticed what appears to be black soot from something that had been burned.  I remove the non-working bulb and see the same charcoal like stuff on on one of the prongs as well as underneath the socket.  I am running the light now without 1 bulb. 

WTF happened? 

What is the black stuff? - Whatever it is, it rubs off onto my hands.

Can I simply wipe the soot off the socket and put another bulb in, or is something wrong with the fixture that could be a fire hazard?

[/URL

[URL=http://s774.photobucket.com/user/mhalstern/media/3_zpsd0421df9.jpg.html]
]

make sure the bulbs are properly seated after replacing the tombstones.  (the white plastic bit with the green swivel bit, so named because they look like a tombstone.....)  The charred bit is from arcing and sparking, from improperly seated bulbs, loose/floppy tombstones, or cheap components in the fixture itself. 

Take apart the fixture and remove one of the tombstones.  Take it with you to the hardware store to make sure you get the right replacement pieces.  Also, the pieces are pretty inexpensive, so if you have the fixture apart, might as well replace all of the tombstones. 

dragon49 said:
Ty 4 fast reply - what is a thombstone?  Is it one of the pieces in the fixture?

Yea, whatever you call them, the guts of the slotted-green-fixture-thingy have probably suffered damage similar to the bulb contact.  Best to head for the local hardware store and get a $2 replacement.  Simply dropping in a new bulb may work for a brief time, but I'd expect a similar meltdown before long.  Assuming the zorching was caused by the bulb not getting completely rotated into position, you should also check the opposite connector carefully for signs of overheating. Even if there's no black reside, the contacts may be damaged and on the way out.

McGuiver said:
I would contact the manufacture. They should replace the tombstone or maybe even the fixture. That slot will create a fire hazard. I would not use that slot until it is fixed. It looks like a Hydro Farm fixture.

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=10655

Is it a Hydro Farm fixture? Give them a call.
It is a Hydro Farm fixture - Not 100% sure, but your link looks like the exact model that I have. I like Hydrofarm - They were nice enought to send me 4 bulb replacements after I complained to them that one had blown prematurely. If the replacement part is indeed only $2.00, I'm not going to bother them. I'll go to my local hardware store after work and take care of this.

For now, the slot is empty - I was afraid to burn something by putting another bulb in, since I have been informed that somethgin is wrong with the fixture and not the bulb itself.

I'll write back tonight with what heppened.

You might have a hard time finding a t-5 tombstone at your local hardware store. Some are just barely getting fixtures. You may have to go to an electrical supply house. They will have it or can order it.

My local hardware store had the part, BUT a version that fits a bigger bulb.  I used a form to email Hydrofarm support, asking them if I could purchase replacements directly from them or if they could recommend a seller.

A BigBox hardware store might have it, or as McGuiver suggested, go to an electrical supply house.

Back