• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Burnt roots with double cup method

I have a couple of extra plants so I decided to try the double cup method with one to compare growth. I'm just putting regular soluble fertilizer in the second cup. The problem is the tips of the roots seem to be burned and some seem to be "retreating" even. Is the fertilizer too strong? Should I dilute it more?
IMG_0568.jpg

Hard to say for sure, but it's probably a safe bet to try a much more dilute fertilizer for a while (or none at all for a short time). If the condition improves, you'll have your answer.

I've seen similar roots occasionally in my own double cup plants. I wasn't using fertilizer so it would have been over or under watering.

Peter_L said:
Hard to say for sure, but it's probably a safe bet to try a much more dilute fertilizer for a while (or none at all for a short time). If the condition improves, you'll have your answer.

I've seen similar roots occasionally in my own double cup plants. I wasn't using fertilizer so it would have been over or under watering.

I think I didn't set it up right because the bottom part of the soil has been taking up water, so it actually hasn't dried up in more than a week. I'll try giving it time to dry up.

Just a suggestion for using those clear cups. Either tape up the outer cup or use a red one for the outer cup. The light penetration allows algea to grow in the soil and around the roots on the bottom of the cup. I experienced this first hand after going the double clear cup route so I could monitor the water content in the soil because I had some problems with over watering last year. I agree that the burnt roots are from excess water sitting in the cup for too long. You may have to cut back on the amount of water you give them at one time, but water more frequently if needed. You will still need to top water from time to time in order to supply water to the roots in the top half of the cup, instead of trying to water everything from the bottom. That should eliminate the soggy soil in the bottom.

CMJ said:
Just a suggestion for using those clear cups. Either tape up the outer cup or use a red one for the outer cup. The light penetration allows algea to grow in the soil and around the roots on the bottom of the cup. I experienced this first hand after going the double clear cup route so I could monitor the water content in the soil because I had some problems with over watering last year. I agree that the burnt roots are from excess water sitting in the cup for too long. You may have to cut back on the amount of water you give them at one time, but water more frequently if needed. You will still need to top water from time to time in order to supply water to the roots in the top half of the cup, instead of trying to water everything from the bottom. That should eliminate the soggy soil in the bottom.

I learned that too early on. I even had weeds growing on the sides of the cup. Now for the outside I'm using a white foam cup.

I'll cut back on the amount of water and dilute it a bit more.

Ive never tried the double cup method, so maybe Im speaking from lack of experience - but I DO know that when roots sense either light, or air, or both, they self prune. Your picture in my opinion looks like the plant is doing just that. Maybe because of the clear cup? Maybe because the root is not staying submerged in water?

In any case, self pruning roots arent necessarily bad. The plant will send out many more fine hair-like roots to make up for it.... and those fine ones are more effective for nutrient absorption anyway!

Back