• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bushel Gourd

Grew bushel gourd   According to lore, if you pinch off all the flowers but one you will get a gourd big enough to make a bushel basket. Anyone know what to expect if you just let it grow on its own?  So far I know you get a gourd that takes over for 10 yards in any direction with no sign of slowing down.

Also wondering if anyone knows what happens if you pick a gourd before it is done?  Does the shell prove to be good enough for drying?  Or does it just rot?

Haven't grown one personally but in my giant pumpkin adventures I have come across some growers who really know what they are doing. Bigpumpkins website is a great tool for that sort of stuff.

This SOB was grown by a man in Montana and it weighs a little over 270 pounds. EDIT: it also holds the current world record for largest Bushel Gourd as of 2014
xlN3nJq.jpg

I do know that the fruit has a habit of leaking sap so it becomes a problem when it gets that big with the skin cracking and bugs getting in. These are great for drying at any stage in its growth. Hope I answered something :)

Back