• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bushy or lanky?

Cayenne peppers are very tall and need a stick to support them. Jalapenos I found to not need staking and are short huge producers. The only really hot pepper I know is close to that bushy type is habanero. I could be wrong. I found Thai to be very bushy but hot very hot as well so. I do not know much about peppers yet but I am very interested in them. I live in zone 6/5 so I can not grow peppers all year round :banghead: I grow Jalapenos as my main crop because I get them very cheap started and they produce well in any climate. If I lived where I could grow all year round my list would be endless.

Thanks guys... Definitely will come in handy knowing that; I'm doing 13 varieties in addition to 4 super hots. Gonna be a good year!!

A good general rule of thumb (for most plants not just pepper plants) is that if it's lanky, it's stretching; If it's stretching that means it's not getting enough light. Obviously the exception is if the plant is supposed to be lanky then it's genetics not lack of light. Also if you're puposing

Cayenne peppers are very tall and need a stick to support them. Jalapenos I found to not need staking and are short huge producers. The only really hot pepper I know is close to that bushy type is habanero. I could be wrong. I found Thai to be very bushy but hot very hot as well so. I do not know much about peppers yet but I am very interested in them. I live in zone 6/5 so I can not grow peppers all year round :banghead: I grow Jalapenos as my main crop because I get them very cheap started and they produce well in any climate. If I lived where I could grow all year round my list would be endless.

It's good for the cayennes to be on the lanky side imo. I had some cayenne chiles rest on the ground last year because some of the nodes were too close to the ground.

A good general rule of thumb (for most plants not just pepper plants) is that if it's lanky, it's stretching; If it's stretching that means it's not getting enough light. Obviously the exception is if the plant is supposed to be lanky then it's genetics not lack of light. Also if you're puposing

I meant bushy or lanky in the way i was going to manicure my plants this year, like cut the main stem and let all the nodal branches be new main stems , or just let it grow tall as hell... my plants usually get pretty big if i don't manicure them. I think i'm going to try luigi's technique of tying the branches to a center pole so it grows straight up like a christmas tree... or hot pepper, however you want to look at it ;)

Mine tend to bush out with no intervention... Nature isn't stupid, I think a plant under good conditions will produce as many pods as it is capable of producing. It may be that pod production is increased over the short term by topping, but I'm not convinced it would matter in the long run.

Back