• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

bushy plants - more than one in one pot?

If you plant in a gigantic container (20 gal), you can plant 2 per container. Growing 2 in something like a 5 gal bucket will not work. Surviving is not equal to thriving. You will not get as many pods compared to plants that are planted individually. Many of us have done the experiment and regretted doing so.

if you want the plant to grow bushier you top or fim them. This stops, or pauses the upward and outward growth.

Here is a start to end, spend 10 minutes watching them.
beginning
few weeks later
conclusion

edit: oh and to answer question, no you don't need to put 2 plants in a pot, you can but people say they fight for resources and end up producing less fruit overall.

The bushiness you are seeing might also be a phenotype of the particular species of pepper you are looking at. I've noticed that annuums have more of an upright, elm tree kind of a shape. Chinenses tend to have a broader, acacia tree shape. My chinenses always seem bushier than my annuums.

Thanks guys!

Van: They do look nice!

Unfortunatelly they will be in containers even smaller than 5 gals. So I will stay with 1 plant per container. I'm limited by space and they will be more balcony/houseplants than plantation. So I'm like ok with that I won't get a big crop. However It would be nice to have some. Now I see it maybe would be smarter and wiser to limit varieties and get less plants in larger containers (I will get 1 plant per variety) but you know...

OKGrowin: Thanks for the clips, I read about topping plants, last year I wasn't sure when exacly to do it so I didn't. Also heard this slows down plant for a while.

dash 2: I partially second your observation as my habanero is indeed more like acacia. Jamaican hot is more Y-shape same as Jalapenos were. But Bird's Eye's were probably the bushiest of them all.

OKGrowin said:
if you want the plant to grow bushier you top or fim them. This stops, or pauses the upward and outward growth.

Here is a start to end, spend 10 minutes watching them.
beginning
few weeks later
conclusion

edit: oh and to answer question, no you don't need to put 2 plants in a pot, you can but people say they fight for resources and end up producing less fruit overall.

Welp, I'm off to top my plants now!

Back