• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Butch T's tail or no tail

I am growing Butch T's and I have some at my partners place in a grow room still in gallon pots never been outside sure to be root bound producing perfect Butch T pods with tails every single pod, but the ones here in my yard in 7 gallon pots given the best of everything spoiled if you will look more like Douglah pods, no tails at all none of them and the pods are bigger. A few look like they kind of want to form a tail but at the last min changed their mind.

Spanky, I processed 50 pounds of 7 Pots, all from the same grower in CA, and from what I understand from the same field, and only about 1/3 of the pods had the distinctive tail. The rest just looked like habs. I have no idea if your different growing environment would influence stinger production or not, but I know you cannot base a determination fo whether a chile is a scorpion or not based on whether it has a tail or not.

I know my Butch T plants, in the height of the drought and heatwave, produced all but 10 pods without stingers. That was about 95% with stingers. The next round are just starting and growing conditions are much better so I will probably see a lot less stingers. From what I have been told, people see get a lot more stingers when the plants are stressed.

Hmm. So stressed plants result in the stinger, that from my limited knowledge. Is a distinct marking of a scorpion. The reason I thought it was called a scorpion.
Ok I screwed this topic up. Lol.
You guys are not talking about scorpions. Lol.
So a stressed butch t can have a stinger..
Got it.

Last season i grew butch T from seeds i got from the hippy seed company , when they first poded up i thought i must of been sent the wrong seeds as the pods looked like what salsalady said not the scorp shape and no tail , , then after the first lot of pod were picked it started to throw out another lot of pods that did have the perfect scorp butch t shape , the same thing happnd with my yellow 7's they didnt show the true shape till they were well into there second lot of pods , but towards the end of the season and when it was a bit cooler they shape stayed the same but the pods were not as big.

Maybe the amount of sun , or the extream heat of summer that we get here in perth wa has something to do with it im not sure.

Hmm. So stressed plants result in the stinger, that from my limited knowledge. Is a distinct marking of a scorpion. The reason I thought it was called a scorpion.
Ok I screwed this topic up. Lol.
You guys are not talking about scorpions. Lol.
So a stressed butch t can have a stinger..
Got it.

I don't know that any of us know for sure at this point. I don't feel comfortable saying it is directly related to stress, but I also haven't had any cool weather pods yet. I should start seeing them in a couple of weeks though.

Back