• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Buying seed from overseas.

Do you ship to the US I asked.
We have not for a while but we might have a way! If you want to try, here’s how to get a 3 year seed import permit for free! Heres how: https://efile.aphis.usda.gov/s/ - Select form PPQ-587 and email me the permit and shipping label you get at jukka@fatalii.net - use subject US ORDER PERMIT and we won’t miss it. Then we will provide you with a coupon code that allows you to order :)

So I got an account:

Customer Account Registration Success​

You have successfully registered to create your USDA eAuthentication account.

Nothing said about the PPQ-587.

So what is the real truth?

Interesting, I ordered a couple times from Fatalii Seeds last year… at the time, I had to click through several stern warnings but there was no hard block on shipping to the US.

If that’s changed, I feel lucky to have gotten some of the varieties I was interested in which aren’t widespread over here. I’ll have to be careful maintaining my seed!

I hope Semillas La Palma doesn’t follow suit… that would be a huge loss.

You used to be able to import small lots (50 or less) of pepper seeds with a small lots permit. But back in 2021, the USDA started requiring a phytosanitary certificate for tomatoes and peppers, effectively destroying international seed trade. I also received an email from the USDA stating they were no longer issuing or renewing small lots permits.
See https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...seeds/seeds-additional-requirements-ecommerce

Last edited:
You used to be able to import small lots (50 or less) of pepper seeds with a small lots permit. But back in 2021, the USDA started requiring a phytosanitary certificate for tomatoes and peppers, effectively destroying international seed trade. I also received an email from the USDA stating they were no longer issuing or renewing small lots permits.
See https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...seeds/seeds-additional-requirements-ecommerce

An import permit issued by APHIS specifies which seed species can enter the country and under what conditions. These conditions can include treatment, packaging, labeling, and shipping requirements, among other things. Only U.S. residents may apply for an import permit.

Most seeds for planting require a PPQ 587–Permit to Import Plants or Plant Products. Some seeds are prohibited or restricted and may enter the United States only under a special permit and after meeting additional requirements. Please see Seeds with Additional Requirements for more information.

To determine which permit you need, visit APHIS’ Plants and Plant Products Permits website or contact APHIS’ Permits Help Desk by phone (301) 851-2046, toll free (877) 770-5990, or email plantproducts.permits@usda.gov.

Applying for a Permit

U.S. residents can apply for an import permit at no cost using APHIS eFile. To begin, you must first create an account. Once you are registered, you may apply for a permit. Issuance of a Permit may take up to two months depending on the amount of permit being handled throughout the year and the complexity of the permit.

Tomato and pepper seed from all countries requires testing for virus and viroid diseases. These seeds must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin with the additional declaration that says “the seeds have been tested for (name of virus/viroid) of quarantine significance prior to entry into the United States or that the seeds are produced in a country in which these (name of virus/viroid) are not known to occur.”

Important: Small quantities of tomato and pepper seeds are not eligible for import under a PPQ 587 permit for Small Lots of Seed.

Last edited:
Back