food By Request - Tadka Dal

PF,

I actually have no set dal recipe - most of the time when I cook it, I am trying new things and different combinations. Dal is like soup... there's no one recipe or method of cooking it and everyone cooks it differently! The majority of the time though, I cook a basic “tadka dal” - i.e. cook the dal (lentils) first then cook the tadka (seasoning) and add it to the dal. For the dal, you can use whichever lentils take your fancy. Personally, I am a big fan of the combination of Toor dal (a type of yellow lentil) and Channa dal (split chick peas) but also use Moong dal (mung bean), Urad dal (a type of black lentil) and sometimes even dried Kidney beans (Urad dal and Kidney beans make a good combination).

The first step is to soak the lentils for at least half an hour (unless you are using red lentils - no soaking required - but personally I find them rather tasteless compared to other lentils). If you don't have a pressure cooker, you will probably want to soak the lentils for a few hours 'cause they gonna take a long time to cook! Once soaked, rinse well (in a strainer under the tap) and pop them in the pot with water. I take a guess at how much water to use but I think the ratio is something like 2-3 cups of water to 1 cup of lentils (depending on what lentils you are using - more water for channa dal and moong dal 'cause they really soak it up!). Boil until you get desired consistency (some folk like it mushy, others like the lentils to retain shape - but always the lentils must be soft!). If the dal starts getting dry, add more water. Some folk also add some spices and what-not to the pot while cooking (e.g. turmeric, garlic, ginger, fresh green chili) but I save it all for the tadka. I simply cook the lentils in water, salt it when it's done, and put it aside.

Now for the tadka... heat ghee or oil in a pan (I use lots of either... tastes better that way ;)) and start adding your favourite seasonings – which can include, but not limited to mustard seeds, cummin seeds, onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, asafotida, green chilies, dried red chilies or chili powder, curry leaves, and even curry powders or coriander powder, etc for different tastes. I always start with things like mustard seeds and cummin seeds so they have a chance to pop and crackle and really release their flavour. To me, cummin seeds are a MUST for any dal – if I am going to add one thing to a dal, it's gotta be plenty of cummin seeds! Then normally it's things like onion, garlic and ginger, followed by turmeric (and asafotida if it's your thing). Cook that a bit then add things like dried red chili, green chili, curry leaves, etc. If you like a bit of a sour taste, a tomato is always good - but add it after everything else... the acids pretty much stop everything else from cooking properly. What you add to the tadka is entirely up to you and your tastes - you may want to keep it simple or you may want to go all out – but the most important thing to remember is, your aim here is to really cook everything well so all the flavours are released, but NOT to burn anything! Timing is very crucial!

Finally, add your tadka to the dal and chuck in some fresh coriander leaves to really enhance the flavour. I also like to sprinkle in a little garam masala powder and if you like a sour taste, a good squeeze of lime or lemon goes well too.

ty gas for the recipe...I have a bag of chana dal and urad dal sitting here staring me in the face...it is losing but that is another story...

if you can guess the amounts of the spices to use for the tadka, I would appreciate it because I am new to indian cooking and the spices...I have most everything at my disposal and if I don't have it, there is an Indian/Pakistani store not far from my house...

I may try and cook some up this weekend...

thanks in advance

Haha... I have absolutely no idea when it comes to the amounts of spices required for a good combination! I just take guesses and sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Maybe NJA would like to chime in here? I'm guessing he would have great knowledge of spice combinations that work!

Ok, well let me see, this is roughly what I use.... For a dal consisting of 2 cups of lentils, I would probably use the following:

mustard seeds, 1/2 - 3/4 tsp
cummin seeds, I love these and easily use 2 tsp but 1 tsp would probably be sufficient
onion, I usually only use a small one
garlic, huge garlic fan so I usually use 3 or 4 cloves
ginger, I heard somewhere that if you are using garlic and ginger, you should use 2/3 the amount of ginger you have used of garlic, so I try to stick to that
turmeric powder, 1/4 - 1/2 tsp... IMO too much kills it
chilli of any type (dried, fresh, powder, green, red), totally up to you! I always use both red and green though.
curry leaves, 10 or so fresh ones... have never used dried ones so don't know about that.
tomato, just a small one

Hope it turns out or I'm gonna feel responsible for a lousy meal!

thanks gas...

I am sure it will be good...will (of course) post pics when I do cook it...

Try to use the moong dal which is not a lentil but actually a skinned and split mung bean, but is traditional for Dal Tadka. Substitute: toor dal; yellow lentil.

Very nice one gas.

Back