• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense C.annum vs c.chinense

Is there any way or some characteristics that can undentify if its C.annum or c.chinense plant during growth before flower/pods came out ?

C. Chinense usually have very broad leaves, often crinkly, but not always. They also tend to naturally bush out more, as opposed to the more lanky growth habits of C. Annuums.

found this at http://www.peppermania.com/chile_facts.html (layout at middle of page)
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif

Yeah, you can tell by the leaves.

Hmm, it says that the flowers are not purple for c. annum. What about purple varieties that are claimed to be c. annum?

There is a longer variant of the table at http://faq.gardenweb...4837000364.html that deals with that case.

Using the longer table you will go through step 3 (corolla purple) and then to 4 (flowers solitary):
Corolla purple . . . . . . continue to 4
Corolla white or greenish-white . . . . . . continue to 5

Flowers solitary . . . . . . C. annuum
Flowers two or more at each node . . . . . . C. chinense

I don't though see the table as a comprehensive way of identifying a Capsicum species even among the domesticated 5. I have an example of a C. annuum that produces clusters of purple flowers. I can tell from the leaf structure, the basic flavour of the pods compared to other C. Annuum varieties and the calyx size that it is a C. annuum.
I haven't seen an example of a C. chinense plant with purple flowers as yet.

JungleRain has a Rocoto with white flowers that produces orange pods. The Rocoto Largo San Isidro also has white flowers.

I haven't seen an example of a C. chinense plant with purple flowers as yet.

I have an example of an interspecific hybrid C. chinese with purple flowers. The pimenta da neyde. It's mixed with c. annum, but It has a lot of c. chinese characteristics. The fruit starts off purple and stays purple as well

Here is a pic (sorry I don't have one of the whole plant):

7660109836_a386bb9939.jpg

There is a longer variant of the table at http://faq.gardenweb...4837000364.html that deals with that case.

Using the longer table you will go through step 3 (corolla purple) and then to 4 (flowers solitary):

I don't though see the table as a comprehensive way of identifying a Capsicum species even among the domesticated 5. I have an example of a C. annuum that produces clusters of purple flowers. I can tell from the leaf structure, the basic flavour of the pods compared to other C. Annuum varieties and the calyx size that it is a C. annuum.

Oh ok.

I have an example of an interspecific hybrid C. chinese with purple flowers. The pimenta da neyde. It's mixed with c. annum, but It has a lot of c. chinese characteristics. The fruit starts off purple and stays purple as well

Here is a pic (sorry I don't have one of the whole plant):

7660109836_a386bb9939.jpg

Oh ok.

I did think of that variety but didn't consider it to be a true C. chinense. I searched for photos of its flowers while I was drafting my prior post and found only one photo that was white with a purple tinge.

Do you have photos of the flowers?

I did think of that variety but didn't consider it to be a true C. chinense. I searched for photos of its flowers while I was drafting my prior post and found only one photo that was white with a purple tinge.

Do you have photos of the flowers?

I don't have any photos atm. I can take one next week (my plants are at a college). It's definately not a true C. chinese. I'm crossing it with some c. chinese varieties.

Edit: I should also say it has quite a bit of C. annum characteristics as well. The fruit itself has C. chinese flavor. I was looking at some pictures. It seems the flowers vary a lot. Unless I remember wrong, the flowers on mine are purple rather than tinged. Hopefully it will still have flowers on Monday (it's not a heavy producer and is setting fruit).

Back