• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

C. baccatum and extreme heat

This year, besides Aji Limon, I've added 3 other C. baccatum varieties: Aji Amarillo, Guampinha de Veado, and Guyana PI 199506. My main garden can get brutally hot, and I seem to have read in somebody's grow log that they had trouble with Aji Amarillo in extreme Gulf Coast heat. I'm planning on putting my Amarillos in containers, so I can move them around to accommodate the weather. I think Aji Limon can stand the heat, as I have the CPI variety, and I've seen it growing in their demonstration garden in Las Cruces. That leaves Guyana, which, by the way, are growing fast and tall, and don't seem to be bothered by high winds or full sun, and Guampinha de Veado, which are also growing big fast. I just don't know how they will handle the nuclear midsummer conditions of my main garden. Anyone got experience with these varieties? If anyone can share experience with C. baccatum varieties as a whole in a damnably hot garden I would love to hear...

Well my summers get pretty hot.
and I grow in full sun.
Last year we were above 90f for a month straight!
And my Baccs seemed to love it.I had no problems at all with Aji Limon ,Queen Laurie,Birgit Locoto,Balloon.
So I dont think you will have any problem growing those !
Good Luck!

Kevin

Well my summers get pretty hot.
and I grow in full sun.
Last year we were above 90f for a month straight!
And my Baccs seemed to love it.I had no problems at all with Aji Limon ,Queen Laurie,Birgit Locoto,Balloon.
So I dont think you will have any problem growing those !
Good Luck!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! You should have about the same climate as I do...So, yeah, I'll put them all in the ground, then!

How did you like the Queen Laurie? Can you give a ballpark estimate of its SHU value?

Gary

Gary,
The Queen laurie was an excellent pepper!
I would say they are about as hot as a nice Jalapeno!
But, with the nice crunch and sweetness of a Bacc.
Bacc's have quickly become a staple in my garden, I dont think I have had one that I didnt like!
This year I up'ed my Bacc count! :lol:

PM me if you would like some Queen Laurie seeds. :cool:

Kevin

Ok, you experienced bacc growers. Do they always take so long to germinate? I only had one bacc plant last year (lemon drop) and I don't remember it taking an inordinate amount of time, but I sowed a bunch of Aji Amarillo this year and they seem to take a long, long time. Is that usual?

Most dont seem to take very long, But , some of mine such as Aji Criolla Sella ,took forever.
I think it depends, Just like certain Chinense take alot longer than others!

When I was about to give up on the Aji Criolla Sella they started popping!
I'd give em a lil longer MW! :lol:

Kevin

A Brazilian Starfish was my only plant last year to produce through our 30 days of 100+ weather last June - Aug. I was not impressed with their taste but the plant and the peppers were gorgeous. My Lemon Drop shut down, My Caribbean Red kept going but at a much slower pace.

This year, besides Aji Limon, I've added 3 other C. baccatum varieties: Aji Amarillo, Guampinha de Veado, and Guyana PI 199506. My main garden can get brutally hot, and I seem to have read in somebody's grow log that they had trouble with Aji Amarillo in extreme Gulf Coast heat. I'm planning on putting my Amarillos in containers, so I can move them around to accommodate the weather. I think Aji Limon can stand the heat, as I have the CPI variety, and I've seen it growing in their demonstration garden in Las Cruces. That leaves Guyana, which, by the way, are growing fast and tall, and don't seem to be bothered by high winds or full sun, and Guampinha de Veado, which are also growing big fast. I just don't know how they will handle the nuclear midsummer conditions of my main garden. Anyone got experience with these varieties? If anyone can share experience with C. baccatum varieties as a whole in a damnably hot garden I would love to hear...

I haven't had problems with baccatums like I have Rocotos and Datils in major heat conditions. I've grown Aji Colorado, Inca Red Drop, and Hot Lemon and they all did well in the heat. Very well, actually. They also seem to do better in the ground, at least in my experience.

Ok, you experienced bacc growers. Do they always take so long to germinate? I only had one bacc plant last year (lemon drop) and I don't remember it taking an inordinate amount of time, but I sowed a bunch of Aji Amarillo this year and they seem to take a long, long time. Is that usual?

Aji Amarillo did take the longest of the 4 C. baccatum varieties I started this year. It also had the lowest germination rate, about 50%, where the other were close to 100%.

A Brazilian Starfish was my only plant last year to produce through our 30 days of 100+ weather last June - Aug. I was not impressed with their taste but the plant and the peppers were gorgeous. My Lemon Drop shut down, My Caribbean Red kept going but at a much slower pace.

Cool! Thanks!

I haven't had problems with baccatums like I have Rocotos and Datils in major heat conditions. I've grown Aji Colorado, Inca Red Drop, and Hot Lemon and they all did well in the heat. Very well, actually. They also seem to do better in the ground, at least in my experience.

Thanks! I think I will put them all in the ground.

This is an interesting thread. My baccatums have done well here in the heat, too. And they've done surprisingly well in pots, too. My criolla sella never stopped producing last year in a very small (~2 gallon) pot. It also produced really early. I've got two in the ground this year and one overwintered one. I really like making powder out of those peppers. Hot and unique tasting. Plus a great color.

My Nepalese bell also lived in a VERY small pot, and produced pretty well, but late. I've added quite a few baccatum sp. to my grow list this year (most are already planted), so I'm curious to see how they grow. Looks like baccatums are, in general, a good choice for those of us with the heat.

This is an interesting thread. My baccatums have done well here in the heat, too. And they've done surprisingly well in pots, too. My criolla sella never stopped producing last year in a very small (~2 gallon) pot. It also produced really early. I've got two in the ground this year and one overwintered one. I really like making powder out of those peppers. Hot and unique tasting. Plus a great color.

My Nepalese bell also lived in a VERY small pot, and produced pretty well, but late. I've added quite a few baccatum sp. to my grow list this year (most are already planted), so I'm curious to see how they grow. Looks like baccatums are, in general, a good choice for those of us with the heat.

Wow, thanks for the info! This just keeps getting better.

Back in November I gave my brother 3 potted plants of Aji Limon...Little did I know he would have fresh chiles all winter!

It seems like C. baccatum may have a couple of advantages over the other species, not only do they handle well the infernal garden of nuclear hell, but they continue to produce delicious fruit all year long!

Wow, thanks for the info! This just keeps getting better.

Back in November I gave my brother 3 potted plants of Aji Limon...Little did I know he would have fresh chiles all winter!

It seems like C. baccatum may have a couple of advantages over the other species, not only do they handle well the infernal garden of nuclear hell, but they continue to produce delicious fruit all year long!

Yeah. It took a 17F hit to finally kill my baccatums, too. They seem to be pretty darn resilient. The pubes did will in the cooler weather, too, but they HATED the heat. Barely kept them alive.

Yeah. It took a 17F hit to finally kill my baccatums, too. They seem to be pretty darn resilient. The pubes did will in the cooler weather, too, but they HATED the heat. Barely kept them alive.

Nice! So did you get any C. pubescens fruit at all? Is it actually possible to grow them on the Gulf Coast?

Nice! So did you get any C. pubescens fruit at all? Is it actually possible to grow them on the Gulf Coast?

I did. Very late and fairly few. But I can't speak to the GC, wc. We're WAY less humid and a touch hotter here (most summers). Hard to say how that translates for y'all.

I did. Very late and fairly few. But I can't speak to the GC, wc. We're WAY less humid and a touch hotter here (most summers). Hard to say how that translates for y'all.

Yeah, C. pubescens would probably not like this valley. C. chinense grows real well here, so I can't really complain...

Back