• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

C. Chacoense differences?

Is there any noticeable difference between the C. Chacoense? I have a friend that grew 3 different Chacs and all seemed to be the same. All leaf patern, fruit, flower, etc.

What difference is there if any?

Thanks.

-Walter

Differentiate them the same way you would any other capsicum... leaf structure,frame,prolificacy,fruit shape and size,flowers per node, length and number of calyx teeth,color of filaments and anthers,seed shape,size,color,etc.....

Chacoense have some oddballs that stand out,but most of the differences are minute. Get a magnifying glass and study the calyx,see if you can find any differences.

great question Walt 
that's correct Jon n Rob 
they are very similar in many things such as flower size and color all white, yellow in the middle, ting flower small pods.
leafs are very similar as well. the biggest differences you will notices is in the pods size and shape on the fruit and growing habit on the blanches and the plant it self. some are small bushy low growing habit, other are vine very tall. also the pod direction, some are more upright than others.
they all have similar taste reminds you with pine-nuts.

flowers are the same,
leafs are almost the same, some slight differences on the shape 
pod size/shape is different,
plant growing habit is different,
taste is the same.  

Nightshade said:
I think it is very Similar to the different tepins that can be broken down to different regions I could be wrong (most likely am)
Cool, that was my first thought. Then when they appear almost identical, then there's that doubt. Even tho most chiletepin seem the same there are some noticeable differences.

Pr0digal_son said:
Differentiate them the same way you would any other capsicum... leaf structure,frame,prolificacy,fruit shape and size,flowers per node, length and number of calyx teeth,color of filaments and anthers,seed shape,size,color,etc.....

Chacoense have some oddballs that stand out,but most of the differences are minute. Get a magnifying glass and study the calyx,see if you can find any differences.
I couldn't agree more, I haven't grown them out yet. That's the reason I wanted to ask if there were any mayor difference, but now that you metion it, it should be fun growing them and document the differences. Thanks.

PepperLover said:
great question Walt 
that's correct Jon n Rob 
they are very similar in many things such as flower size and color all white, yellow in the middle, ting flower small pods.
leafs are very similar as well. the biggest differences you will notices is in the pods size and shape on the fruit and growing habit on the blanches and the plant it self. some are small bushy low growing habit, other are vine very tall. also the pod direction, some are more upright than others.
they all have similar taste reminds you with pine-nuts.

flowers are the same,
leafs are almost the same, some slight differences on the shape 
pod size/shape is different,
plant growing habit is different,
taste is the same.  
Thanks Judy! These are from the seeds you sent me. Btw I received them yesterday, thank you.

That is interesting, and now that you say they taste like pine nuts I want to grow all of them lol. Should be nice to snack on those. I already love the tepin and the wild brazil and these should add to the list :D. More and more. My first pepper plant and still is a Sonoran tepin. It already passed the second season and now it's going for the third, and it's a very nice and hardy plant. That's what started my interest in wilds. I can't wait for the outcome. Thanks again Judy!

-Walt

Here she is spring 2013. Tepin at second season.

20130406_200724.jpg

-Walt

I grew a chiltepin that looked like that, very distinctive leaves.  Was the sonoran chiltepin.  I have other chiltepins that have more standard C. annuum looking leaves.

Back