• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens C. pubescens questions

I think that when I had my plants in #15 pots in the sun the roots got too hot and the pots dried out too fast.

As soon as I started using 15 or 20 gal. pots the sun didn't bother my plants at all.

I don't think they mind full sun but the pot has to be big enough to keep moist in 100 degree days in july-Nov. here in Ca.
I get pods in early fall,early spring and mid winter.
Mid summer they won't bud.
I get good results growing them with full southern exposure,South east and south west sun.
Northern exposure is the poorest location for me.Not enough sun.

Here's a photo of a manzano i was about to throw out about a month and a half ago, finally it has pods.

chilemanzano-1.jpg

are you saying i should put it in a shady spot? how many hours would you recommend of sunlight? it does get a lot of sun , and it is definitely not over watered. maybe it's the seeds which are originally from conneticut. that's my guess. or maybe i just need to keep trying.

Try moving it to a position that only receives a few hours of early morning sunlight. During the season I had plants that saw sunlight early in the morning and other plants that barely saw any sunlight at all.

Have you checked how hot the plant container becomes during the day? I aim to use light coloured containers.
i have it in a 6" square black pot. i have not checked the temp. thanks for your advice i'll take it into consideration. would love to see some peppers from this bad boy.

maybe ill put it into one of my clay pots i have laying around

Do you have a clay pot that is at least 12" in diameter? Most of my fruiting C. Pubescens plants in containers were in 30 cm / 15 L containers. My oldest plant is in a 45 cm container that is too cumbersome and heavy to move about much.

yes i do. i'll give it a go. thanks for your advice!

Back