• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Cabbage worms on my Broccoli

So I'm battling cabbage worms on my broccoli plants.  I had them under control early in the season, but now that my plants are full grown and  putting out heads, they've come back with a fury (probably because I stopped inspecting them).  I think I picked off at least 30 of them this morning on 5 plants.  What is nice to see is I believe they have been parasitized.  So hopefully any that I have missed won't last much longer.  Every single one I picked off had larvae inside of it after I cut it in half.  I'm assuming it was by these guys: http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mbcn/kyf312.html

Edit:  I guess it isn't those guys I linked above as they lay their eggs in the pupae, not the larvae.  So anybody got any guesses as what the parasite is?

Here's a pic of the evidence (crappy phone cam, but all that white at the top is larvae).

2013-06-19%2008.27.42.jpg

Hand picking/the parasite larvae have solved the problem thus far.  Haven't seen any more of them since the 20th and haven't noticed any new damage to the plants.

Back