• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Cabe Gendot - a C.pubescens from Indonesia!

By pure accident I learned of an Indonesian C.pubescens last week. Mr Gary Montcalm posted on FB that he was growing Cabe Gendot from Indonesia. He got seeds from a friend there and luckily for me, he has passed a few on!!! I`m really excited to grow these out!!!

Cool thread, thanks Nigel! It was no accident, however, but part of a grand plan….  :hell:

THP member indoChilli, in Jakarta, sent me several varieties of seeds, including Cabe Gendot. He said that he had not had any luck growing it at his house, but I was intrigued by it it nonetheless. I didn't expect the plants to thrive in the Louisiana climate, much less produce fruit, so I left them in 1-gal. nursery pots in a shady corner of my patio all last season. To my surprise, they grew well and even produced several smallish fruit. But they were nice and juicy, with a respectable kick:

gendot1.jpg

At the end of the season I potted up to 5-gal. nursery containers, and moved the plants into the garage for the winter. They've been back outside for about a month now, and by this week they had plenty of foliage and some nice blossoms:

cabe_gendot6.jpg

On the Dieng Plateau, an area of volcanic highlands in Central Java and the type locality for Cabe Gendot, the pods are more substantial. Soon I will plant mine in the ground in an area of the yard that receives morning sun only. I intend to produce pods like this (It could happen :cool:):

CRW_8818aconvert%20Ole%20Ole%20Dieng%20%28web%29.jpg

A Cabe Gendot vendor in a Dieng market:

CRW_8849aconvert%20Dieng%20chilli%20seller%20%28web%29.jpg

The fields of the Dieng Plateau. The climate there is a constant 50-70ºF year-round:

7978880810_5c9e92d279_o.jpg

mlh5953 said:
Great thread and interesting pepper!
I'll look forward to hearing more about it (and the other peppers from Jakarta).

Thanks Michael! I'll have the Cabe Gendot plants in the ground in the next couple of weeks....I'll also be sure to report on the other varieties Firditra sent me.

Nigel said:
Nicely done Gary!!! 

Thanks Nigel! And thanks so much for starting this thread.  :P

Very interesting, who would have guessed that the Dieng Plateau in Java would be compatible for C. pubescens to produce a marketable crop. I have had the idea that it would be much hotter there, but I forgot that a lot of Volcanic Plateau get snow at the higher altitudes even in tropical areas. 

wildseed57 said:
Very interesting, who would have guessed that the Dieng Plateau in Java would be compatible for C. pubescens to produce a marketable crop. I have had the idea that it would be much hotter there, but I forgot that a lot of Volcanic Plateau get snow at the higher altitudes even in tropical areas. 

Thanks George! The ground elevation of the Dieng Plateau is 6,000 feet above sea level. Combine that with what looks to be (from most photos) plenty of misty days and the volcanic soil, and the growing conditions would be close to ideal...

windchicken, how was the fruit setting rate like with Cabe Dieng? I am the blog owner of up-your-toot.blogspot.com (where two of the pictures came from) and I had grown some seeds from the seeds of those peppers in the pics back in Malaysia. One has just flowered and I am a bit worried that my climate will be too warm for fruit set. My day temps goes to 35deg C and night lows are at lowest 25 deg C.

Dieng is indeed very misty and cool. Past 11am, the view will be obsured by mist and rising clouds. They grow a lot of potatoes there and mountain pawpaw (Vasconcellea pubescens). Average temps in Dieng is around 13-15 deg C with daytime high of 20-22 deg C and frost do occur in the middle of the year. A lovely but very rural place to visit.

Wow, small world! Thanks so much for the great photos, Sean, and thanks especially for sharing your experience of Dieng! I greatly prefer the rural life, by the way, so you're only helping to sell the place to me…  :P

My Cabe Gendot plants are in 5-gallon nursery containers, in a place in my yard that gets only morning sun…Knowing that there is no full sun after 11 am on the Dieng makes me feel good about that. After I read your post this morning I ran out back and took these shots:

cabe_gendot1.jpg

cabe_gendot2.jpg

cabe_gendot3.jpg

Nigel/windchicken - thanks for an interesting thread!  A great find - well worth following

Back