• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Cacti

I've been fooling around with the idea of purchasing prickly pear cactus seeds. I was wondering if anyone has personal experience growing these?

I've been fooling around with the idea of purchasing prickly pear cactus seeds. I was wondering if anyone has personal experience growing these?

Yes, and I also have experience getting "pricked" by one. Why in heavens name would anybody want to grow one? If you do get pricked by one, pray it isn't deep; they are absolute hell to remove, IME.
There are many lovely varieties to choose from, but by all means go for it if you must. They are easy to grow.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2086089_grow-prickly-pear-cactus.html

Cheers.

Yes, and I also have experience getting "pricked" by one. Why in heavens name would anybody want to grow one? If you do get pricked by one, pray it isn't deep; they are absolute hell to remove, IME.
There are many lovely varieties to choose from, but by all means go for it if you must. They are easy to grow.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2086089_grow-prickly-pear-cactus.html

Cheers.

Well, I enjoy the taste of the prickly pear fruit. And from what I've read now, as long as you provide the proper soil/sand mix they're quite simple to grow, even indoors. There are less spiny cultivars. I've pricked myself before but it wasn't so bad. Knowing is half the battle, you have a plant and know where it is. I would think most people could eliminate the danger.

Well, I enjoy the taste of the prickly pear fruit. And from what I've read now, as long as you provide the proper soil/sand mix they're quite simple to grow, even indoors. There are less spiny cultivars. I've pricked myself before but it wasn't so bad. Knowing is half the battle, you have a plant and know where it is. I would think most people could eliminate the danger.

This was in the wilds and before I knew better. ;)

Back