• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cajamarca Question

So my Cajamarca pepper is starting to put out fruit, but it looks a little different from the pics I've seen of this variety.

Has anyone else grown this? Have yours looked like this too? Basically the pics I've seen of this don't have tails, but all mine do.

Three different peppers:

P1160344.jpg

P1160347.jpg

P1160352.jpg

hmm it might be crossed.. the colour is there... but the shape is a bit different.. yours looks evil. :) :hell: like a scorpion...

Nice, i've never seen anything like it.

If that is a cross, or not, it is definitely a keeper imho. Isolate some of those flowers to get some pure seed for next season. I wonder what next seasons pods will turn out like.

I've got 10 big, in-ground Cajamarca plants in my garden this year. It's an amazingly robust and productive plant. There seems to be quite a bit of variability in pod shape between plants, although the pods on any single plant are pretty close to the same shape. Some are rounded, like most chinenses, a some are enlongated and pointy, like Fatali or Devil Tongue.

I've got 10 big, in-ground Cajamarca plants in my garden this year. It's an amazingly robust and productive plant. There seems to be quite a bit of variability in pod shape between plants, although the pods on any single plant are pretty close to the same shape. Some are rounded, like most chinenses, a some are enlongated and pointy, like Fatali or Devil Tongue.

Hey Windchicken, I'm starting to like this pepper too... can't wait to taste it. Do you have any pics of your pods you could post here to compare?

I think it's a bit different than mine. I will get some pics of mine up this afternoon. Mine will be closer to the Fatalii/ Devil's Tongue shape. I have four or five plants but only got one out early enough to have pods on before the heat arrived.

Mike

Hey Windchicken, I'm starting to like this pepper too... can't wait to taste it. Do you have any pics of your pods you could post here to compare?

Just had one with lunch yesterday...very nice flavor and aroma, not quite as hot as Orange Habanero, but then it was technically an unripe pod. Here are some photos which I hope show the great variability in pod color, shape, and size between individual plants:

Where the pods are protected from sunlight deep within the leaf canopy, the purple tinting does not occur. The blue-green spots are from the copper spray I use to prevent the spread of BLS:

P6300001.jpg

These pods are on the very outside of the plant, where the sun strikes them for several hours each day:

P6300006.jpg

Productivity!:

P6300009.jpg

P6300012.jpg

Not really a stinger like yours, Spicegeist, but maybe soon:

P6300014.jpg

Yet another pod form. These look almost like Congo Trinidad to me:

P6300016.jpg

Maybe it could make a stinger?:

P6300019.jpg

More like Fatali or Devil Tongue, complete with the bumpy skin. Check out the trunk on this bad boy:

P6300022.jpg

I'm heading over to my pepper patch to bag some flowers today. I'll update this thread as the pods appear. I'd love to see more pics of Cajamarca pod variation if you have any to share!

Great pics windchicken. Funny how some look like habs and some like bhuts. About the purple coloring, mine are a little different, the fruit are protected from direct sun and are still turning purple.

Great pics windchicken. Funny how some look like habs and some like bhuts. About the purple coloring, mine are a little different, the fruit are protected from direct sun and are still turning purple.

Thanks! Now that you mention it, that last one does look more like a Bhut than a Fatali.

SG, here is my lone pic of Cajamarca. Its in the sun for this pic but its not otherwise. Looking forward to some purple maybe. Mike
June30th2011009.jpg

I've successfully isolated at least 2 flowers now turning into pods and am attempting to cross this with a Fatalii and with a Chocolate Bhut, so I should have some pretty excellent seed to trade come harvest!

The Cajamarca is a strange plant, here are some pictures of my 2010 crop, very scorpionizzato but the taste of sweet pepper.
post-2752-12782569616058.jpg

post-2752-12782569844028.jpg

post-2752-12782570101183.jpg

post-2752-12786954713139.jpg

All the peppers on this plant, if not strongly "scorpionizzato" are at least all pointy:
P1160515.jpg

I have a few pods from isolated flowers for next year growing nicely on this plant too.

Update on my Cajamarca, all of my pods are long, slender and pointy. I have several pods growing from isolated flowers for next year.

Pics taken today:

P1160830.jpg

P1160829.jpg

Back