food Cajun Spice/Pork, Chicken Rub Spice Recipe

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
Just finished my cajun spice recipe or pork/chicken rub recipe that I am going to give away as presents for the family this year for christmas...pretty good but not the greatest IMO...

AlabamaJacks Exotic Superhots@TM

Cajun Seasoning

Ingredients:

Kosher Salt, Onion Powder, Sugar, Naga Morich/Cayenne Powder, White Pepper, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Smoked Paprika, Ground Red Pepper, Thyme, NutMeg, Celery Salt

here is a pic of the mix before shaking...

122009a004-1.jpg

picture of final product in their little jars with labels...

122009b001.jpg

Sounds like a good rub to me!

thanks THP...a good pork rub it would be IMO

I know its got a good heat but there is something missing to my palate...it is the front roof of the mouth that is lacking in any response to my taste buds...who knows, I may have burned them out...the wife says it has a pretty good total mouth burn with flavors that meld really well together...

That looks and sounds great AJ. I know what you are saying about the upfront burn. You could try Mombasa powder instead of cayenne if you can find it. I learned about it from Dave Prudhomme nephew of Paul for LA.

Hmmm, perhaps some earthiness from some ancho... or ground celery seed. I could see both here. Hey it looks good and I wouldn't have commented but you said it's missing something.

thanks guys for the comments...feedback is what I am looking for..

JayT said:
That looks and sounds great AJ. I know what you are saying about the upfront burn. You could try Mombasa powder instead of cayenne if you can find it. I learned about it from Dave Prudhomme nephew of Paul for LA.

I've got some tepins for the up front harsh/initial/lip burn but that is not what it is missing...just a flavor I have tasted but can't put my finger on it...

thehotpepper.com said:
Hmmm, perhaps some earthiness from some ancho... or ground celery seed. I could see both here. Hey it looks good and I wouldn't have commented but you said it's missing something.

maybe some ancho but I don't have any dried yet...hmmmmm...it's got celery salt in it...wondering about some toasted cumin...

Oh heck I missed the celery! Glad it's in there always good. I said crushed seed as I didn't want you to add extra salt.

Wish you had some ancho... I think it needs earthiness... try the toasted cumin.

texas blues said:
Clove perhaps?
Yeah, or star anise. Another level of complexity for sure.

Whatcha got in the cabinet AJ?

just got to dry some anchos...I will use them on my next batch...

I have clove and anise...as far as what I have goes...most of your standard spices

122009c001.jpg

122009c002.jpg

122009c004.jpg

listed is what is not on the wall:

clove
ground cumin and cumin seed
Thyme
Fennel Seed
Ground Allspice
Rosemary
Pure Ground Gumbo File
Bay Leaves
Cinnamon
Sesame Seeds
Mint Leaves
Sage
Ginger
Parsley
Oregano
Mexican Oregano
Basil
Dill

Pepperfreak said:
Looks great AJ. Are you selling any, by any chance? I'd love to get some if you are.

nope Pf...not selling...just made up enough this first go round for family in Chicago..sorry man...

That Perfect Blend stuff with a little homemade mixed chili powder is awesome on grilled chicken thighs! I love that stuff.

AlabamaJack said:
just got to dry some anchos...I will use them on my next batch...

I have clove and anise...as far as what I have goes...most of your standard spices

122009c001.jpg

122009c002.jpg

122009c004.jpg

listed is what is not on the wall:

clove
ground cumin and cumin seed
Thyme
Fennel Seed
Ground Allspice
Rosemary
Pure Ground Gumbo File
Bay Leaves
Cinnamon
Sesame Seeds
Mint Leaves
Sage
Ginger
Parsley
Oregano
Mexican Oregano
Basil
Dill

nope Pf...not selling...just made up enough this first go round for family in Chicago..sorry man...

Looking at the pics....don't look like you cook much....:rofl:

I don't bro...cupboards almost bare...

Back