• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cal deficiency

I am looking for a Cal supplement I know many on here use CalMag. I already use Eart Juice Miro Blast that has Iron and Mag in it along with other Micros and I think CalMag is a little pricey. Any other suggestions and what about oyster shells, as it has been suggested ate they too slow?

Calcium sulfate is another option, also known as plaster of paris. I've heard of using crushed egg shells for calcium too, but I forgot how it was done.

Neptune Harvest crab shell ( This is what I will use for my final transplant in 5 & 10 gallon this season to replace calmag)
Benefits of Crab Shell 2-3-0 CA23 Neptune's Harvest Organic Crab Shell is an excellent dry organic source of NPK, Calcium (23%) and Magnesium (1.33%). It will also help with nematode and fungus problems. Here's why: Crab Shell is high in Chitin (Kite-en) which promotes the growth of Chitin-eating bacteria in the soil. The exoskeleton of fungus and nematode eggs are high in chitin. Crab shell when added to the soil helps to create a hostile environment for the fungus and nematodes by feeding the biological life that eats chitin and chitin-based organisms. Crab Shell should be applied in the same way we recommend our Kelp Meal to be applied. (Got this information from a 420 forum)
Not promoting this product just what I will use this season and the hydro shop has it $30 for 12 lb
I currently use CalMag for the temporary

Eggshells take time too...so unless you can compost them for a while they're not going to help. I throw my eggshells in my worm beds and let them process them for me...

You can also make your own calcium acetate. This is how smokemaster does it.

I take a 1ltr. Yogurt container and put an inch or so of dolomite lime in it and fill it with 5% white vinegar(don't use wine vinegar etc.).
Stir it and it fizzes.
I cover it with plastic wrap.A tight lid will pop off - gas from the reaction.
When it stops fizzing stir it until it stops fizzing.
I stir it and put my hand over it to feel the bubbles.
It doesn't fizz that much.
Once it doesn't fizz anymore it's ready.
Add 2-3 oz. to 2 gal. of water and go for it.I use a pump sprayer to give my pots an equal amount of nutes after watering.

All good info thanks ! Doesn't the use of Cal increase PH? I have another thread going that has pics of my plants and I'm 90% sure it's Cal deficency. I need something fast. Is Bone Meal a good source for Cal? because I worked it in the soil?

All good info thanks ! Doesn't the use of Cal increase PH? I have another thread going that has pics of my plants and I'm 90% sure it's Cal deficency. I need something fast. Is Bone Meal a good source for Cal? because I worked it in the soil?

I think my plants have always had some sort of calcium deficiency, and cal mag helped only a bit. My leaves are crinkled like yours. It could be soil pH in my case, but so far, I haven't had any problems with my plants.

Well at lunch I broke down and purchased CalMag and will apply it tonight do I go full strength or dilute it. Also I use Miroblast from Earth Juice and it already has Mag and Iron I believe can I OD my plants with too much Mag or Iron? I will have new PH probe tonight so I'll ck the PH and dose em I'm really curious to see how long it takes to turn around or if I even diagnosed it correctly .. Thanks everyone

I added a bottle of crush calcium tablets , magnesium , iron and sodium bi-carb or cooking soda. Then some Multi-vitamins crushed with a little kelp - Instant results.I's not just about adding, you need other chemicals to speed up the uptake.Acidic soil can hamper this- so calcium caarb or lime can help. A table-spoon per gallon of water every month and you'll be right.

I added a bottle of crush calcium tablets , magnesium , iron and sodium bi-carb or cooking soda. Then some Multi-vitamins crushed with a little kelp - Instant results.I's not just about adding, you need other chemicals to speed up the uptake.Acidic soil can hamper this- so calcium caarb or lime can help. A table-spoon per gallon of water every month and you'll be right.
Tested my pots tonight with a cheap PH probe and they are testing around 7 could this be part of the problem if so how do I correct it?

i have done the rolaid thing but can't really say if it helped. i have never tried the multivitamine but have considered it for the thiamin. but i think my seaweed tea gives enough vitamines.

glad you went with the calmag method, for fast immediate needs its probably the best way to go.

good luck

i have done the rolaid thing but can't really say if it helped. i have never tried the multivitamine but have considered it for the thiamin. but i think my seaweed tea gives enough vitamines.

glad you went with the calmag method, for fast immediate needs its probably the best way to go.

good luck

Well watered with CalMag and a little Maxicrop seaweed I hope it works I'm stressing it a little.
; )

Back