• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cal Mag + Tea?

Does anyone know if Cal Mag can be used at the same time as Tea. I have a batch of Tea about ready to go, but just noticed some Calcium needs on several of my plants. Don't want to waste the Tea, but don't want to wait another two weeks for the next watering to treat for Cal Deficiency.

What do you use in your tea?

I've been using "stump tea" with EWC and kelp all season, and had no cal-mag deficiencies...

Botanicare (the maker of CalMag) considers CalMag to be a supplement, to be used in addition to a "base" fertilizer. I grow in pots and the potting soil I use has fertilizer premixed in. I still add other fertilizers, dependent upon the stage the plants are in, but once my plants kick into production mode all I add is CalMag. My plants absolutely love it.

Got ya.

Yes, it is a supplement, but usually just throw eggshells in at the beginning of the season.  For the few that I didn't supplement early on, I found that the teas brought them right back.  I'm not an expert in the science of plant nutrition and uptake, so I have no idea how the teas offset the calcium/magnesium deficiency - but what I can tell you is that they do, and I've got the darkest green hot pepper plants in my growing circle to prove that.

I wouldn't tell you to do something different, but I have sure come to be a believer in teas.

Depending on how much m'larssess you use, it's a reasonable boost of Ca, Mg, and a good dose of K. Not taking into account variations in molasses, at 0.5% of a tea (tsp per litre) it provides roughly 30ppm of Ca and Mg, with 100ppm K.

Couple that with bubbled tap water (not RO or distilled), the additional Ca from EWC, and it's a nice little soup.

miguelovic said:
Depending on how much m'larssess you use, it's a reasonable boost of Ca, Mg, and a good dose of K. Not taking into account variations in molasses, at 0.5% of a tea (tsp per litre) it provides roughly 30ppm of Ca and Mg, with 100ppm K.

Couple that with bubbled tap water (not RO or distilled), the additional Ca from EWC, and it's a nice little soup.

Yup,

Most people have plenty of Cal and Mag, already. But hey if it has a placebo effect then go for it. I'm sure there are people that need Cal-Mag, but not nearly as much as people think. Tap water has plenty in most municipalities and compost has loads of it as well.
calcium-shower-590.jpg

Wiki
Calcium (Ca) deficiency is a plant disorder that can be caused by insufficient calcium in the growing medium, but is more frequently a product of low transpiration of the whole plant or more commonly the affected tissue. Plants are susceptible to such localized calcium deficiencies in low or nontranspiring tissues because calcium is not transported in the phloem.[1] This may be due to water shortages, which slow the transportation of calcium to the plant, poor uptake of calcium through the stem,[2] or can be caused by excessive usage of potassium or nitrogen fertilizers.

Maybe it should also be said that if you are using aerated tea, you can "cut" your tea when you water, to make it go farther. (as you've indicated that you don't want to waste the tea)  I've used it with plenty of success in about a 1:3 dilution of tea/water as both foliar and drench.

I don't know how effective teas are when used in conjunction with synthetic fertlizers. (others would know better than me)  But as was said above, Cal-Mag probably isn't even necessary.  I've never used it, ever.

Back