• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cal-mag vs. Epsom salt / bone meal

I'm always in search of the Next Big Thing to yield more, bigger peppers. I've heard good stuff about Cal-Mag recently. I already use Epsom Salt and Bone Meal to juice the pepper production. Pretty happy with both of them, actually. Anyone using Cal-Mag? Does it replace or supplement epsom foliar spraying? What do you think - better, worse, or no big difference, from using Epsom and some sort of calcium treatment like bone meal? I've always got huge blossom end rot issues - I'm looking for something to break the back of B.E.R. this year. Tnx

Well I'm not one of the experts, I haven't been growing peppers for as long as a lot of the people here, but I like CalMag a lot. I don't really use epsom salt anymore, CalMag supplies both calcium and magnesium, so it seems a little redundant to use epsom salt too. A lot of people here swear by epsom salt, but I haven't really noticed any benefit with it. It might be valuable as a foliar spray to quickly correct a magnesium deficiency though.

I don't use bone meal because of the high phosphorous number.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/horticultural%20myths_files/Myths/Bonemeal.pdf

From that paper...

The Bottom Line
• Bone meal supplies high levels of phosphorus and calcium, elements that are rarely limiting in
non-agricultural soils.
• Phosphorus, from bone meal or other sources, does not “stimulate” plant growth; it is only a
mineral, not a plant growth regulator.
• High levels of phosphorus, from bone meal or other sources, will inhibit growth of mycorrhizal
fungi.
• Without mycorrhizal partners, plants must put additional resources into root growth at the
expense of other tissues and functions.
• Before you add any supplementary nutrients to your landscape, have a complete soil test
performed first.

IMO, CalMag is the best out of the three. It supplies calcium and magnesium while epsom salt only supplies magnesium, and it doesn't have a large, unnecessary and potentially problem causing amount of phosphorous.

I have used the bone meal/epsom salts trick in years past especially when my plants need a kick start. This year the plants never got yellow so haven't used either since using GH flora nova that contains a healthy dose of both cal-mag. Cannot say one is better than the other at this point but my used soil was lacking other nutrients also. I believe a good balance between both organic and chemical fertilizers will get your best yields. I top dress with garden-tone and will continue to add the gereral hydro.

I'm always in search of the Next Big Thing to yield more, bigger peppers.

Setup a worm farm!! You will be able to make your own fresh compost that you can add to your soil year after year and do bi-weekly worm tea foliar feedings. I've noticed a big difference in my plants and since your already foliar feeding you know how much easier and more efficient it is.

Good luck.

LGHT is spot on. I don't have a bin, but I have plenty of worms in the garden. But under my bananas, I put the cut leaves, and where are always worm castings under the decomposing leaves... I don't have a problem scraping up a gallom or so when ever I need them. I make a tea of rabbit dung and worm castings. It does work great, but I usually just pour in. i will try spraying more.

Back