• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Calcium for container plants. PPM?

When applying a Calcium Acetate additive to container/soil plants, what strength should I be aiming for? I've been adding a 'pinch' of ~1/2 teaspoon with each 2 gallon jug but would like to refine this dose somewhat.  I see the hydro guys aim for ~180ppm of Ca in their brew.

Living in Az, I go through a LOT of water, at least a quart per plant per day, with the larger baccatum (they grow like weeds!) or overwintered plants needing well over 1 gal.

I can go for periodic large doses but would prefer to 'fertigate' with a weak dose every few waterings.  That's what I do with NPK+ ferts.

The Ca-Acetate is home-brew, made from limestone and vinegar left to dry into fuzzy white crystals of the stuff.

IMG_4643s.jpg

Is this a monohydrate, or might there be more water molecules attached?

Is the ~180 PPM (or whatever you suggest) a measure of weight of Ca vs the water, or is it a molar ratio, or?

Thanks.

Living in Az, I go through a LOT of water, at least a quart per plant per day, with the larger baccatum (they grow like weeds!) or overwintered plants needing well over 1 gal.
Mulch everything with 2-3" of straw to conserve moisture.

Back