• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Calcium Hyroxide for tomatoes

Last year I grew some tomatoes for my parents as my mom loves what she calls Jersey Tomatoes. I had a bit of a problem with blossom end rot and after researching what it was and how to cure it, I decided to try some leftover Calcium Hydroxide from my reef aquarium days. I mixed it with some water, using it a a spray and to water which solved the problem. I would like to know if I could add it to my soil mix before planting this year rather than using it as a foliar spray and for watering.

If so, how much should I add to my 5 gallon buckets, and can I expect it to last through the season?

queequeg152 said:
wtf? you spray lime on your plants? for real?
Nice reply. If it is something I shouldn't have done, don't you think a better reply would be to explain why rather than WTF?

Yes, it was advised to me to make a weak spray and a stronger solution for the soil. It worked and didn't create any problems. It was a one time application. I don't know very much about growing vegetables, so I have to rely on the advise of others.

BER is associated with a calcium deficiency.  It could mean the soil doesn't have enough calcium.  You could add lime to the soil as an amendment.  You could also get CalMag and add that to the water when you water your plants.

bpiela said:
BER is associated with a calcium deficiency.  It could mean the soil doesn't have enough calcium.  You could add lime to the soil as an amendment.  You could also get CalMag and add that to the water when you water your plants.
Thank you for the answer.  I was hoping to put something I already have to use.

Psychographic said:
Nice reply. If it is something I shouldn't have done, don't you think a better reply would be to explain why rather than WTF?

Yes, it was advised to me to make a weak spray and a stronger solution for the soil. It worked and didn't create any problems. It was a one time application. I don't know very much about growing vegetables, so I have to rely on the advise of others.

lol ive just never heard anyone ever spraying lime on plants before? i mean was this from a liquid concentrate or what? i mean  cant see anyone scooping hydrated lime out of a bag to make a spray solution? 

mortar lime or slacked lime or hydrated lime is like way dangerous... idk if you have ever used it in raw form, but once airborn its hazardous to your lungs and eyes... your skin to some extent as well.  its so bizzare to me. 

if you want to give your plants calcium, just get some calcium nitrate next time. its very cheap... few dollars a lb, to less than a dollar an lb if you buy shit loads of it.  its probably not cheaper than hydrated lime, but its way cheaper than bottled fertilizers and bottled calmag stuff.

hydrated lime is VERY basic... if you use this stuff in a good quantity( enogh to provide your plants enough calcium) you will alter your soil PH quite radically.

queequeg152 said:

lol ive just never heard anyone ever spraying lime on plants before? i mean was this from a liquid concentrate or what? i mean  cant see anyone scooping hydrated lime out of a bag to make a spray solution? 

mortar lime or slacked lime or hydrated lime is like way dangerous... idk if you have ever used it in raw form, but once airborn its hazardous to your lungs and eyes... your skin to some extent as well.  its so bizzare to me. 

if you want to give your plants calcium, just get some calcium nitrate next time. its very cheap... few dollars a lb, to less than a dollar an lb if you buy shit loads of it.  its probably not cheaper than hydrated lime, but its way cheaper than bottled fertilizers and bottled calmag stuff.

hydrated lime is VERY basic... if you use this stuff in a good quantity( enogh to provide your plants enough calcium) you will alter your soil PH quite radically.

In the aquarium trade it's known a Kalkwasser, and it is in powder form. Me being the cheap-ass I am was hoping to save a little time and money, but from your info it doesn't sound like it's worth it. I'll look for some calcium nitrate next time I'm out. So back to my original question, only this time using the nitrate, how much would you suggest I add to a 5g container? Am I correct in assuming the calcium nitrate is safe as a foliar spray?

Thank you for the help.

im not really a big believer in foliar feeding macro nutrients... foliar is great for feeding micronutrients, especially when you have some acute deficiencies, but you cant really spray enough calcium to make much difference.

just water it in.

toms need around 150-200 ish mg/l calcium and a bit less in nitrogen. however thats for 100%... idk what your soil is like so maby just go with 2.5 grams calcium nitrate per gallon of water.

that will yield 106 mg/l and 75 mg/l calcium and nitrate respectivly. thats about half what your plants need.

Back