• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Calling Willard or other Hydro experts

Several questions but first what I want to do:

Set up a NFT system that I can grow lettuce, mizuna and basil in. None of these plants require much room, so I'm thinking that I can space them three inches apart. I would use PVC piping - in eight foot lengths and drill holes in it so a 1.75 inch net pot would fit in it. This would allow me to have 48 plants in each section of pipe. Ideally, I would have 9 sections of pipe, each one three inches in diameter.

Is this doable? And if so, how large of a container would I need to hold the nuits and what size pump would I need? Can I get away with 3" pipe? I would harvest the produce 30 days after putting the plant into the system (sprout them in rockwool or another medium? I have a mizuna seed that I stuck in a rockwool cube on the 19th that has already stuck its head up - I figure another two weeks before it has enough roots to put it into the hydro chamber, right?

Mike

For 450 plants you will need an 800-1000 gal reservoir and a 100-200 gpm pump with pretty high head capacity.

Go with 6" pipe as the difference in cost between 3" and 6" is not worth the hassle of working with small pipes full of roots.

Rockwool is fine for seed propogation. You can put the plant in hydro the minute you see green. I wait for two sets of leaves before putting in hydro but you don't need to.

Pablo,

Good Grief! 100 gpm to supply water though 72 feet of piping? That's over a gallon of water per minute, per foot.

Do I have a lot to learn about hydro! But thanks for the info.

Mike

Back