• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Can a indoor pepper plant flower all year ??

I wanna bring some of my potted plants in after summer. With lights and right temps will it continue to make peppers?
Thanks for the help

It depends on the plant, for example I kept a Thai Hot in a sun room that is south facing and had fruit all year. Super hot on the other hand I get plenty of flowers and little to no fruit under T5 lights. 

Good temperature range (usually higher than 70 degrees), lights (something that reasonably mimics dailight, like daylight CFL bulbs, etc), and having one of those oscillating fans can help too, since they help to not only strengthen the plant's stalk, but any wind or air motion would only help the pollen move around...

devilswrath said:
What if i use a hid light like hps or mh ?
Could that help,more light is better right ?

Definitely. You will see significantly higher yields of fruits with an HID light over a fluorescent light. If you really want to go all out with growing indoors you simply cannot beat a good hydroponic setup. A little more initial investment than soil but you can grow some monsters indoors with proper lighting & hydroponics. 

I've grown a few myself indoors w/ a 400W HPS light & a dutch bucket system and we have a bunch of other members with all sorts of hydro setups going at the moment.

I dont really like hydro .... I like the organic way .
But im just trying to bring in like 3 or 4 of my outdoor potted peppers.
When they come in from outside will still continue to bloom and make pods?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
It depends on the plant, for example I kept a Thai Hot in a sun room that is south facing and had fruit all year. Super hot on the other hand I get plenty of flowers and little to no fruit under T5 lights. 
yeah, i have a tiny thai variety that was kicking out pods in january. shame the pods are so small that its frustrating/not worth it to cook with them. but, they are good for a quick snack or if you want your ears to pop ;)

In short, yes.
But expect less (if any) out of most varieties in pots.
I have a Thai Dragon that puts out a few red pods around Christmas----nice holiday look.

Going "organic" in pots must be a chore.
They won't do well with just water, and true "organics" stink up the house.

I DO prefer the taste of a dirt grown, in sunlight, pepper, but bringing them in for growing after being outside has it's own problems.

BUGS!!!! ARRRRRG!!!!

Aphids love to spend the winter inside.

If you are anywhere near me geographically, then bugs are going to be the worst of your problems when bringing plants indoors from outside. Aphids are a real pain when growing indoors, even more of a pain if you are trying to stay "organic".

theghostpepperstore said:
If you are anywhere near me geographically, then bugs are going to be the worst of your problems when bringing plants indoors from outside. Aphids are a real pain when growing indoors, even more of a pain if you are trying to stay "organic".
Yes im right across the river and im thinking that im not going to bring them in .....
But you never know i might try it and see what happens.

Back