• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Can anyone help I.D. This ?

Hi,
I'm very new here. I have been growing peppers for quite a long time but never super hots.
A friend and I both started some Bhut Jolokia we got a few months ago in Waterfarms.
Here is the result of my friends.
We tasted one and there is no way it can be what we thought it was. tasted more like a Serrano.
Here's a pic:
any ideas ?
7404731882_a79dc8951b.jpg

You can follow the link here to Flikr for a much bigger copy of the pic. (I didnt want to post anything really big.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57347992@N02/7404731882/

Thanks

That's probably a rooster spur. Other choices would be poinsettia peppers, and other "asian annum" types. Chilly Chili is another one I think.

Certainly not a bhut though.

Thanks guys. Yes, the plants are doing great. Just don't know what they are haha
I'll see if I can find some detailed pictures of the types mentioned here and maybe I can match one up.

Thanks guys. OK Calling it a Medusa.
Thats a tough one. I thought we were getting Bhut seeds and grow these things for 5 months, only to find out they are something else.
Don't get me wrong, I love the peppers, really decent flavor but the bite is less than a serrano.
It's just I was expecting an OMG moment when I first tried one.(I'm a devoted Habby follower - just never tried a Super Hot) Was kind of a let down is all.

I still have few other SH plants that are suppose to be 7 pot Barrakpore, 7 pot douglah, a couple more Bhut Jolokia and something I've never heard of called a smooth skin Bhut Jolokia.
They all have pods starting so won't be long till I know.

Thanks again,
you guys are awesome!

Just wondering where you picked the seeds up from?

IF you paid for them, you might want to make a thread in the vendor review portion of the site.

Nothing more dissapointing than thinking you are growing out one plant, and ending up with an orange hab (as was my experience with Hinterlands seed co on amazon =( )

:welcome:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]to THP - [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Greetings from Metrolina in North Carolina! [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] …..“The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite……" [/background] :flamethrower:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background] :onfire:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background]

Just wondering where you picked the seeds up from?

IF you paid for them, you might want to make a thread in the vendor review portion of the site.

Nothing more dissapointing than thinking you are growing out one plant, and ending up with an orange hab (as was my experience with Hinterlands seed co on amazon =( )
Nope, just a friend at work gave a couple of us a few seeds last year. Can't complain, they were free.

Last fall I scavenged a few pods off identical looking plants, top killed by frost at Lowes.
I planted a few seeds this spring, they have been growing really well.. Blossoms set from within the foliage and quickly grow upward, many buds continue forming. The pods form like a bunch of upward bananas, an almost white, very pale yellow, then darken, turn orange, a few now showing purple streaks.
I would guess my plants are Medusa too, but taste mild with no hint of heat.
When I searched for 'Medusa pepper' on line I got differing descriptions and pictures, some showing distinct twisted individual pods growing on stems held higher than on my plants. Some references state pods start green turn yellow, orange then red. Descriptions of taste range from no taste, mild, pungent to hot... ???

7469563270_5b61a4c438_m.jpg

They could be the same... although yours are the spittin image of my Chilly Chilis from CCN.... and they have no heat at all too...
---------------------------------------------
You nailed it PapaBill! When I looked up Chilly Chilis - Daves Garden Website had dozens of pictures - exactly the same as my plants. They grow fast and easily and tolerate occasional neglect. It is no surprise they were an All American Award Winner!
Many thanks!

I think the Medusa was the right answer...

https://encrypted-tb...6vELUwtq4hV2gYa
+1
looks like the medusa head I grew last year

the chilly chillis I grew last year weren't as twisted and gnarled as those pods seem to be also the chilly chili has zero heat, I used them to make hot sauce for my woman who is shall we say, challenged in the heat department, i made her a bottle of sauce w/ 2 red ripe serranos, the rest chilly chilis,w/ some mango, it worked out well for her kinda pointless to me tasted more sweet to me than anything, but she said it was just spicy enough, but i guess since she can only handle a few drops of sriracha that might be true, oh boy do I have an uphill battle here!

Scruffy's = Medusa... a little bit gnarly/twisted and some heat...
SanPatricio's = Chilly Chili... more straight and zero heat...

Again, I could be wrong... but have both growing and the pics they posted look very similar to what I have and the heat descriptions match as well...

Back