food Can green chillies be dehydrated?

Whats the diff between a green pod and a ripen. Mainly taste and heat i guess. So that will be the different when you dry green chilis.
But i have never tested it, but i think i will try this on "Champion" as its quite tasty as green.

//Oscar

Of course you can. a ripe pod is the traditional choice for two main reasons. the cheapest way for farmers to dry chiles is leaving them to dry on the plant. doing so will allow them to ripen. another reason is dried chiles are usually used to spice and flavor food. the taste is much more complex and noticeable when the chiles is ripe. plus when ripe is adds a lot of color.

No problem drying green chiles. There are no real drawbacks except they won't be as sweet or fruity as ripe pods

All my green ones after frost will be dehydrated, but that is to flake for on next years garden to deter cats. If you like the flavor green and raw then dry them. Dried a few green Jimmy Nardellos last year and flaked them for in lasagna. They added just what I wanted flavorwise.

Once upon a time I bought a dehydrator to make beef jerky and decided to dry all kinds of stuff in the spirit of "scientific research" and drunken stupor.

Green chile worked fine. I cut them in half, removed the stems and seeds, and dried them out. The end result was actually pretty good, almost jerky like.

I still use a dehydrator to make chipotle and/or habanero powder, because I'm too lazy to try and keep a super tiny low heat smoky "fire" going in the smoker all day and night so I usually either dry the peppers first in the dehydrator and then smoke them for a few hours, or vice versa.

While not as exciting as making your own, around here green chile powder is readily available at the store.

Ive came across some dried green chile flakes (more like pieces)and powders before. Ive even came across dried Jalapeno chunks. I really liked the green chile powder as I like to make green chili sauce with meat and potatoes to make green chili Frito pies and it sure saved the peeling and chopping. Im having a problem finding it now.

Ive came across some dried green chile flakes (more like pieces)and powders before. Ive even came across dried Jalapeno chunks. I really liked the green chile powder as I like to make green chili sauce with meat and potatoes to make green chili Frito pies and it sure saved the peeling and chopping. Im having a problem finding it now.

If you're anywhere near ABQ the Chile Addict sells it. They also sell Jalapeno powder and several other types. If Albuquerque is too far to go they also do mail order http://www.chileaddictstore.com/cas_shop/detail.asp?dept_id=100&pf_id=1003 They're a little pricey but it's hard for me to complain much about a store full of hot sauces and chile products.

I'll bet other stores carry it here as well, maybe even some grocery stores, but Chile Addict is the one place I can confirm has it.

Dried green chiles are a part of my childhood that I am quite nostalgic about. Growing up in East L.A., our family (Japanese) and our next door neighbors (Chicano from New Mexico) would buy five sacks of green chiles from a guy who trucked them in from New Mexico every fall. It was my dad's job (and later mine) to blister the skins over the gas grill, after which my mom would remove as much skin as possible. Most went into the freezer, but the nicest ones got put onto a special screen to dry in the sun--the screen was set up on two sawhorses in the driveway and got brought indoors at night.

I love the New Mexico greens fresh and frozen, but the dried greens are on a whole different level. Reconstituted in water, and lightly heated up with salt, garlic and finally with some cheese melted in--that's one of my favorite foods in the whole world. The flavor is almost completely different from the fresh green chiles in the same way that dried mushrooms take on a very different flavor from the fresh versions of the same mushrooms. The umami component is increased by tenfold. I haven't had dried green chiles prepared in this way for about ten years--since Carmen (our neighbor) passed away.

Fresh Poblano's, and Anehiem's 50/50
dried, powdered, best damn chile verde you ever had.... Pork Roast- Crock Pot- liquid - 4 Tbs. of this.....

17993fe5.jpg

+1, Ají hombre, my mouth is watering from your story! Thanks for sharing that....

I think powdered green peppers smell nasty. Its like, almost a hay smell. Jbeer sent me a half ounce of powdered green superhots so I threw it into a green hab sauce I am working on. Should raise the heat a good bit.

But yes, green peppers can be dried. Dehydrators do not discriminate

Back