• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Can I grow any of these varieties in the ground in Oregon?

mcbob

Extreme Member
I started way to many plants this year and will not be able to grow all of my list in pots. I'm looking for some input on likely candidates that might fully ripen in the ground here in the NW Oregon (Central Willamette Valley). Our season usually runs into October before cool weather and rain starts. I will putting these into the ground around May 15th. I believe I am in a 8a-8b zone here.
Last year I grew fewer plants but did grow a few in a raised bed. I found that the sugar rush plants took forever to ripen and the ones in the ground never really finished..
I'm trying to sort out the plants that are most likely to finish here in the ground. Hopefully someone can help me sort this out.
Below is my list of seedlings . I have never grown any of these before so have no idea of the ripening schedule to expect. Suggestions appreciated!

1. Ghostly Jalapeno
2. Granada seasoning
3. Scotch bonnet Papa Dreadie
4. Datil
5. Bahamian Goat
6. Paper Lantern Habanero
7. JA Mushroom
8. Fish Pepper
9. Naga jolokia
10 Antonia P Rhomedia
11. Aji Chombo
12. Aji Jobito
13. Aji Fantasy
14. Peri-Peri
15. Peach Drop
16. Mirasol
17. Sulu Adana
18. Scotch brain
19. Peppadew
20. Antep aci dolma
21 Peach bullet
22. Dragon toe
23. Habanada
24. Yellow reaper
25. Ghost
26.Clavo peach

Last edited:
I can say almost for sure that Habanero, Yellow reaper, Ghost, and Habanada will be ok - they'll set later in the season but you'll have a decent time to harvest before killing frost. I'm saying that from my experience growing them all last 2 years, although I'm one zone lower (7a) - but they ripened early enough that they should work for you too.

Given that I would expect most of them to be ok, but I don't know a lot of them to really say.

Since I'm 3k miles away from you, I'll guess, ha.

If you are in Z8 and your growing season runs from mid-May to Mid-Oct, ALL of these peppers should produce something. The question is how much. As a general statement, Annuums ripen first, then Chinense and Frutescens, and lastly, Baccatums. Sugar Rush is a Baccatum.

So if you plant on May 15th, my guess is you'll begin picking:

Annuums by mid-August
Chinense and Frutescens by late-August/early September
Baccatum by mid/late September

Now that's assuming your plants are of a size ready for transplanting - not little seedlings.

There you have it lol.

jmo - ymmv

Last edited:
Since I'm 3k miles away from you, I'll guess, ha.

If you are in Z8 and your growing season runs from mid-May to Mid-Oct, ALL of these peppers should produce something. The question is how much. As a general statement, Annuums ripen first, then Chinense and Frutescens, and lastly, Baccatums. Sugar Rush is a Baccatum.

So if you plant on May 15th, my guess is you'll begin picking:

Annuums by mid-August
Chinense and Frutescens by late-August/early September
Baccatum by mid/late September

Now that's assuming your plants are of a size ready for transplanting - not little seedlings.

There you have it lol.

jmo - ymmv
Ok, I guess I will need to sort them by type. I took a quick look and I believe I have them sorted now. I guess I will be potting the Baccatums with plans for the greenhouse if needed. The plants were started in February so are decent size 6-12". I appreciate the suggestions. This will help!

1. Ghostly Jalapeno C/A
2. Granada seasoning C
3. Scotch bonnet Papa Dreadie C
4. Datil C
5. Bahamian Goat C
6. Paper Lantern Habanaro C
7. JA Mushroom C
8. Fish Pepper A
9. Naga jolokia C
10 Antonia P Rhomedia C
11. Aji Chombo B
12. Aji Jobito B
13. Aji Fantacy B
14. Peri-Peri B
15. Peach Drop B
16. Mirasol A
17. Sulu Adana A
18. Scotch brain C
19. Peppadew C
20. Antep aci dolma A
21 Peach bullet B
22. Dragon toe A
23. Habanada C
24. Yellow reaper C
25. Ghost C
26.Clavo peach C

Glad to help. Nice variety of plants. I noticed a few that I'd check the species on. My thoughts are:

Antonia P Rhomedia A
Aji Chombo C
Aji Jobito C
Peri-Peri F
Peppadew B
Habanada A?

Sounds like you got a good plan. Good luck with your grow.

Back