Can I grow just 1 plant?

I'm new to the pepper world, but I would love to be able to grow my own.  My question is, can I just have 1 plant or do I need multiples?  Also, I was considering a Jolokia or scotchbonnet as my pepper (are they fairly hardy?)

My plan is to use a hydroponic set up with the 5 gallon bucket that can be brought in the house when temps get too low.

Any advice or direction would be great.

Thanks,
Caveman

you can grow just one,i would start several and keep the sexiest one though. i also would maybe grow four or five. not to much to take care of and you will be so glad you have a few. one will be lonely and sad :mope:

as far as hardy they all about the same.

good luck and if you p.m. me your address ill get you a small welcome package for the holidays.

Can you try to grow one pepper? Sure. I don't consider it physically possible because of how much fun it is. I also find Inverse Law of Survival kicks in around here. I grew 17 habs the first year, lost 2 of em. Next year, 3 douglah, lost all of them. The more you plant, the higher percent will survive.

I couldn't have just one. But yes, you will have peppers especially in a DWC grow. Scotch Bonnets are a great all around pepper, Bhut's are alright too. I'd go with the Bonnets tho!

Couple black stinger pods will be at your house tommorow. If you like them save a few seeds. (they aren't superhot by any means but they do taste good!) Trust me with all of us here in our area you won't have a shortage of plants should your brown thumb take its toll on one lol! Couldn't believe the mailman came today. He did have chains on though lol! P.S. just got word Weatherford ISD cancelled school again!

i have both yellow and red scotch bonnets that are 4 years old - just killed off a red yesterday and eyeballing yellow, have to make room for 2014. all my bhut types have died within 2 years.

Grow 3 or 4 peppers with a variety of heat levels if you don't want too many.. Like sicman says, you will be glad you have different kinds.

I ciuld grow just one, and say my son and wife are growing the 40+ other plants this coming season....
I would go with the scotch bonnet.... I had a few plants back in 2012 when I liced in a year-round growing climate and left them with a friend when I moved.... of those, the scotch bonnet was the only one that continuously put out pods.... it was only two and three at a time because of its smaller size from being in a smaller pot, but it produced on somewhat of a kore regular schedule than the others....

lol at everyone else and +1 to all
I personally cannot grow just 1 either. Are you experienced with hydroponics? If not, you should probably grow a few because you'll want to avoid the debilitating sadness that comes with losing your only plant (or any plant really, so grow like 60 I'd say).
Fill me in on your hydro experience and I'll give you some tips on pitfalls to avoid

impending_bending said:
lol at everyone else and +1 to all
I personally cannot grow just 1 either. Are you experienced with hydroponics? If not, you should probably grow a few because you'll want to avoid the debilitating sadness that comes with losing your only plant (or any plant really, so grow like 60 I'd say).
Fill me in on your hydro experience and I'll give you some tips on pitfalls to avoid

I'm totally new to hydroponics (and growing things from seed all together) so this was going to be an "experiment", but please.... any information (or pointing me toward the information) would be very much appreciated.

I was planning to use individual buckets for each plant so as to be able to bring them in the house over winter (which isn't usually much here).

So I was going to have just a couple plants, but as you can see that didn't go as planned...
Anyways, you could start the seed in the 5 gall but that is a bit overkill. I would start a few in rockwool or something in a tray like in the picture, then pick the best one (or 20 or 30....) and put it in a small basket with some grow medium (I use hydrocorn). I'd wait to move it to the bucket until its a bit bigger just to preserve precious pepper space but you could go directly from seed tray to bucket. In any case, its best to have a few choices so I'd start a few.

The seedling trays were started at the same time about 3 weeks ago. The seedling tray on the left has had h2o2 whereas the one on the right didn't - you can probably see the effect... You'll want to use h2o2 or beneficials, especially in the warmer seasons, to prevent pythium and cyanobacteria from getting hold and making you cry when all your plants wilt and die for no apparent reason. My approach is to use h2o2 with seedlings then get then benes when transferring them out of the seedling tray into a basket etc. I've never had a problem with infection since I started doing this.

Look for products called "aquashield" and "great white" or something similar. Earth worm castings in a tea are also good but don't overdo it. 

4nIYHYK.jpg

oCaveman said:

I'm totally new to hydroponics (and growing things from seed all together) so this was going to be an "experiment", but please.... any information (or pointing me toward the information) would be very much appreciated.

I was planning to use individual buckets for each plant so as to be able to bring them in the house over winter (which isn't usually much here).
meant to quote so you'd get notification...

Back