• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Can I make powder in a Blender?

In a few days, I'm going to take dried pods out of my dehydrator.  I need to make fine powder for an SHU test.  It looks like a coffee grinder is the recommended method.  I don't fell like buying one
just for this.  I have a cheap $19.99 plastic Blender.  Will this do the job?  I'm worried that a lot of the powder will get stuck at the bottom and will be a pain to get out.

A cheap coffee grinder is a great investment if you have regular access to peppers.

I got mine from eBay and I believe it was around 10 bucks with shipping. You already have a dehydrator......I'd take the extra step and do it right.

HopsNBarley said:
Not sure which blender you have but a Mason or Ball jar mates right up to the base on my Cuisinart. 
I know there are several others that use this method and am guessing the bases are fairly consistent in size.
YUP JUST CHECKED TO SEE IF THIS WOULD WORK WITH MINE IT DID THANKS THATS A GREAT IDEA!!

Browning said:
I have but it wasn't very fine.  I bought a $14 coffee grinder from walmart last week and the powder it made it extremely fine and consistent
I have used mine this way works great but i can only do a little at a time, i found the blender is a better bet

tghanks yuor friend Joe

yeah a coffee grinder is the way to go usually, I  bought my first one at big lots for about 10.00-15.00.. it died after 5 yrs of use and abuse so the wife got a replacement at the local goodwill store for 4.00.. ive used that one for the last few months with no issues

It depends on the blades on your blender. As noted above, you may not achieve a fine powder with it. You can start with the blender then move to a mortar & pestle if you have one. If you only need a small amount for this purpose and don't have a mortar & pestle, after grinding it as fine as you can in the blender, move it to a bowl and go after it with the back of a spoon. Note, however, that the powder will get into the air either way, so take precautions - a mask is a good thing to wear.

I recommend the mason jar if your base comes off the blender pitcher. Half pint jars for small amounts and pints for larger amounts. I realized the whole thing held at an angle allows everything to hit the blades and get thrown up then slide back down for another round with the blades.

photo_zpseffec868.jpg

Tired of cheap coffee grinders burning up . Go with this like the others said. 

I use my blender to reduce the dried pods to a fine powder which I pour through a sive to remove the larger pieces which go back into the blender again till all of it has been reduced to a very fine powder. One thing you have to watch is when you remove the lid, as you could easily dose yourself up good if you get a whiff of the powder.

Back