• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can I mist my pepper plants every other day or even every day if...

...if the misting is not very heavy as to drip into the soil heavily and keep the soil damp and also if the misting is in the one hour every day when my oscillating fan turns on to simulate some actual weather (indoor plants). When the fan is on, the water drops evaporate within 20 mins or so. Would that be ok or am I still in danger of having fungus issues?

The reason I would like to mist more frequently is that my house is kind of dry (mid 30's for humidity) and so I can sometimes get spider mites. I read that misting frequently can deter spider mites. I just dont want the water to sit on the plant for long so I'm thinking that misting while the fan is going might be a good idea.

By the way, is there any other down side to misting plants aside from fungal issues and or is there any benefits for plant health?

PS. The fan and my misting happens in the evening when there is only room lighting and no strong lights to cause any leaf burns.

IME, if you mist in the morning (7 or 8 o'clock) you shouldn't have any problems. With humidity in the mid 30's they'll dry before noon without the fan. If nothing else, the misting will help keep the leaves clean of dust.
I used to live at 45 deg. north latitude and had 250 indoor plants. I'm now in the tropics (13 deg. N. lat.) so all plants are out door plants. I now use a hose instead of a mister. :lol:

I have misted every other day or every third day for over a year on my indoor plants and have never had a problem.
What are you misting with?

Burning Colon said:
I have misted every other day or every third day for over a year on my indoor plants and have never had a problem.

Beer i would imagine! :lol: MMmm yummy beer flavoured chilis....

Burning Colon said:

Ok thats good to hear...I'm so paranoid of fungus because of what I've read online about plants and too much humidity or them being wet too long. I'm just misting with plain old tap water and a spray bottle.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will confidently mist now every other day. I will still do it while my fan is on but at least I wont have any worries what so ever :)

Are you just misting with water, or foliar feeding?
You should also probably only spray when your lights are off

I do a foliar feeding virtually every day, alternating what I'm providing the plants. However, I dilute the recommended foliar solution, in order to make sure I don't burn the leaves.

Hi,

So is misting the plants important? Does foliar feeding make a big difference?

Currently I am just feeding the plants through normal watering. I'm wondering if I should be spraying something on my plants as well.

thanks for the info.

Foliar feeding is much more efficient than feeding via the roots. More of the nutrients will be absorbed and used by the plant. You can do both. Just don't overdo either one.

patrick said:
Foliar feeding is much more efficient than feeding via the roots. More of the nutrients will be absorbed and used by the plant. You can do both. Just don't overdo either one.

I saw a post on here somewhere with a link that says that plants absorb something along the lines of 9 times the nutrients from foliar feeding vs nutrients in the soil. I've been very careful in monitoring my plants to ensure they don't decline in any way, and the plants have grown quite well so far.

Also, keep in mind that you'll likely be foliar feeding with a different kind of nutrient than you'll be using for watering. In my case, it is all supplements.

Back