Can i recycle old jars

Hi All,

I live in Indonesia, and there's not so much action out here in terms of home cooking supplies for Bottles or Pickling Jars.

Is it ok to recycle old Jam Jars if Sterilised correctly? Or am i wiser to wait for my next trip home and bring a few back?

Cheers,

Simon

simple answer is yes...after, as you say, proper sterilization...make sure you check the seals on the lids before using them though...

Well you can melt them down and pour in a mold and make new jars......

or you can wash them out and sterilize them and they are fine. Totally up to you. :dance:

Even for the smart ass sarcasm. :rofl:

How to check the Lid Seal? With pressure or is upside down with water in it enough?

Even for the smart ass sarcasm. :rofl:

How to check the Lid Seal? With pressure or is upside down with water in it enough?

...looks like you are on the right track though.

Be sure and turn your jars upside down (wih the lid on of course) at least once, once they are filled and still warm, and that will help seal them too.

It's an old post, but I'll reply anyway,

there might be some confusing info here between home canning jars and what some might be thinking of as home canning hot sauce bottles.

AlabamaJack is correct, it is perfectly fine to re-use home canning jars, the kind with the flat lid and ring, usually boiling water bathed or pressure canned. What he is referring to is the rubber seal on the canning jar lid. Once the lid has been used, the rubber is squished by the sealing process and the lid then has a channel in the rubber. If at all possible, it is best to use new lids and reuse the jars and rings. Proper sanitation for everything, of course. If you are in a pinch, you can re-use the flat lids, but you run the risk of it not sealing properly.

Once the clean jar is filled, lidded and ringed, it is then typically processed in a pressure canner or boiling water bath, depending on the food being canned.

Coach's reference to turning upside down might be in reference to the narrow neck hot sauce bottles, which are usually not pressure canned or boiling water bathed. The jars are filled with hot product, capped and then inverted so the hot (F/Celcius hot) sauce will then sterilize the inside of the cap. The jar should be inverted immediately after filling, and the sauce should be at least 180F when filling.

Back