• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can it be saved? Is it worth it?

Here's my bhut.... no idea what strain. I posted pictures of these peppers last year when I was trying to identify them. As you can see, the main limb snapped off in a thunderstorm late last summer. Should I bother letting this guy grow, or should I just yank it and try again?

8476564006_bae5dbc8a2_b.jpg
[/url] Untitled by PA_Ridge, on Flickr[/img]

And on an unrelated note.... I have my first plumeria seed pod. My mom's a freakishly dedicated plumeria addict. She has thousands. She says these seeds will grow into whatever variety they want to, regardless of the parent. I may have a few to give away if anyone's interested.

8475479377_f0181aa92a_b.jpg

Here's my bhut.... no idea what strain. I posted pictures of these peppers last year when I was trying to identify them. As you can see, the main limb snapped off in a thunderstorm late last summer. Should I bother letting this guy grow, or should I just yank it and try again?

And on an unrelated note.... I have my first plumeria seed pod. My mom's a freakishly dedicated plumeria addict. She has thousands. She says these seeds will grow into whatever variety they want to, regardless of the parent. I may have a few to give away if anyone's interested.

The "real" answer is it depends upon what you want out of it and when. As I think Joyner's was trying to point out, people often severely prune their plants back as part of the overwintering process. They come back fine in the spring. So it's not necessarily a total loss.

But the other question is timing. I had a TScorp snap its main stem during a thunderstorm in-season before it started producing any flowers or pods. It spent most of the rest of the season in recovery mode, and while it did produce, because there wasn't much to the plant, it didn't produce much. I had limited room for overwintering, so did not overwinter that one as I had others that were higher on my priority list. However, I'm fairly certain that if I had overwintered it, it would have been fine the following year. So if you don't mind minimal production this year and will overwinter, by all means keep it going. If you have other priorities, don't.

Thanks. I figured it would be fine and recover, but in the meantime it would take up precious, valuable space. And no, it's not a priority, so I just went ahead and pulled it a little while ago. The stalk was still green, it was very much alive. But I'm refocusing this year on new peppers that I'll get more use out of. And there isn't much need for overwintering here in southeast Louisiana. The cold nights are minimal. My habs are outside. Have been all winter. I brought them in maybe two nights. They're FULL of new buds and baby fruit. Bumper crop year!

P.S. - Sorry Joyner.... I didn't get the subliminal.

Back