• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can Myco Blast hurt my plant?

Hi,

First time poster, long time reader!

I recently ordered a bunch of seeds online, and with them came this Myco Blast product, which from what I can tell, is supposed to help strengthen your plant.

I currently 1 thai chili plant that I actually managed to overwinter from last summer and was thriving lately, as well as 3 medium sized tomato seedlings that I bought at a seed swap.

I tried using this Myco Blast product on them about 1-2 weeks ago. I followed the instructions to the letter, and don't think I gave them too much of the solution, but as of a couple of days ago, the pepper plant is just looking awful. I tried to take a picture, but the lighting isn't the best in the evening:

FUkMN2r.jpg

If the picture isn't good enough please let me know and I can try take more.

One of the tomato plants has basically died from all it's leaves shriveling up as well, and a second tomato plant looks like its well on its way. The tomato plants and the pepper plant are in different environments, and all my other plants that I didn't use the solution on seem like they're doing just as well as ever, so it leads me to believe it has something to do with this Myco Blast.

Does anyone know if the Myco Blast could be what caused my plant to look like this? Half the leaves are withering away and it appears as though some of the stem may be turning brown/skin chipping off.

If it wasn't the Myco Blast, does anyone know what else could cause this? And any ideas on what I can do to potentially save it? It was the only pepper plant I overwintered and I was hoping to use it to get a bit of early harvest going, so I'm really hoping there is a solution out there.

Thanks a lot for your time everyone, and happy growing!

Raol said:
Hi,

First time poster, long time reader!

I recently ordered a bunch of seeds online, and with them came this Myco Blast product, which from what I can tell, is supposed to help strengthen your plant.

I currently 1 thai chili plant that I actually managed to overwinter from last summer and was thriving lately, as well as 3 medium sized tomato seedlings that I bought at a seed swap.

I tried using this Myco Blast product on them about 1-2 weeks ago. I followed the instructions to the letter, and don't think I gave them too much of the solution, but as of a couple of days ago, the pepper plant is just looking awful. I tried to take a picture, but the lighting isn't the best in the evening:

FUkMN2r.jpg

If the picture isn't good enough please let me know and I can try take more.

One of the tomato plants has basically died from all it's leaves shriveling up as well, and a second tomato plant looks like its well on its way. The tomato plants and the pepper plant are in different environments, and all my other plants that I didn't use the solution on seem like they're doing just as well as ever, so it leads me to believe it has something to do with this Myco Blast.

Does anyone know if the Myco Blast could be what caused my plant to look like this? Half the leaves are withering away and it appears as though some of the stem may be turning brown/skin chipping off.

If it wasn't the Myco Blast, does anyone know what else could cause this? And any ideas on what I can do to potentially save it? It was the only pepper plant I overwintered and I was hoping to use it to get a bit of early harvest going, so I'm really hoping there is a solution out there.

Thanks a lot for your time everyone, and happy growing!

Uh no, I can tell just by looking at the plant and the soil that your problem is underwatering. Give them some water but dont expect a quick recovery, it might lose more leaves before turning back around.

I agree ..... looks dry . Don't know what Myco Blast is. But a lot of times until the roots are well established I feel less is more . More better. 

Myco strains are a fungi called mycorrhizae.  This fungi attaches to the root system and is absolutely harmless to the plant, and very beneficial.  It increases the amount of water the root are capable of in taking in a given period of time.

The issue is, if here is no water to in take, they can not exactly do their jobs.

P. Dreadie said:
I agree ..... looks dry . Don't know what Myco Blast is. But a lot of times until the roots are well established I feel less is more . More better. 
Less is usually more when talking about ferts and such.  Myco doesn't really follow that rule.  It will help root systems get established.  I put it on my very young plants, and could even put it into the seed hole prior to sewing.

This is Myco Blast just for anyone that was wondering: http://parkseed.com/myco-blast-biological-root-inoculant-single-packet/p/30949/

Scuba Steve, thanks for the explanation, that actually does make some good sense!

I was always under the impression that the overwintered plants didn't need much water. I haven't been watering it much over the winter season and it seemed to have been thriving. But if that's the effect of the mycorrhizae, then it makes sense that it will now want more water than usual!

I will give it, along with my tomato seedlings, a good thorough watering when I get home from work and hope for the best then. 

Thanks for the help everyone, very much appreciated!

P. Dreadie said:
millworkman ....... Nope "What" ? 
He replied to OP,

Can Myco Blast hurt my plant?
Started by RaolYesterday, 08:36 PM

as I would Nope

I agree the soil looks very dry but that looks like bacterial wilt or something other than under watering. All the wilt is on a single branch. 

Hi Joyner,

If it is infact bacterial wilt, do you know what I could do to potentially save this plant? Or is that a type of disease that would make it salvageable?

Also, what could cause it? I believe my roommate pruned that part of the plant back at one point, maybe at one of the stems thats looking bad. Could the bacteria enter through the open wound?

Water first like everyone said and see if it recovered, if not it is not due to being dry. Still isolate it if you have other plants. 

If it is BW, isolate the plant ASAP, take it from the pot and get rid of the plant and dirt, bleach the pot before using it again. I am not certain that is what is going on but looks very similar, Google some images and try to see for yourself based on having the plant. 

Some of the other stems show signs.

The more I read about bacterial wilt, the more it sounds like it. This one site says "Wilting begins at one end of the plant and eventually spreads until the whole plant collapses", which looks like exactly what is happening. 

There's apparently a test you can do as well where you cut off a piece of stem, let it sit in water, and see if the bacteria oozes out, so I'll have to try that when I get home as well to confirm if it is bacterial wilt.

So I guess there is nothing that can really be done if does end up being bacterial wilt? I can't seem to find any solutions on Google. 

I know this is all probably a big deal to make out of one pepper plant, but it was my first one and the only one I overwintered, so I was hoping to use it to get a jump on the harvest this summer :(. But still I appreciate the help from everyone here!

Back