• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

can scotch bonnets be orange?

I'm not sure as I've only grown burkina scotch bonnets. But I did a search for scotch bonnet images on google, and some are orange. However, many red pods first go orange before they turn red, so could be that the images I found are a combo of not-quite-ripe and ripe pods.

Reimer seeds has an orange bonnet

http://www.reimerseeds.com/scotch-bonnet-hot-peppers-orange.aspx

Never grown them myself. My reds do transition through the orange phase, some times holding the orange color for a week before becoming red

Thread on here a while back, people were saying there are chocolates as well. I have never seen them, but the concensus was they existed.

Yup,chocolate too but not the mushroom shaped ones.
I have some growing outside now.No pods yet...

Melissa might have pics of her Chocolate Scotch Bonnets in her G Log.
She sent me a few for my birthday.

2012-08-30_06-21-49_324.jpg

I grew "Chocolate bonnets" and they were almost identical to black/brown congo(chocolate hab). People just found it easier to call all C. chinenses habs or bonnets

"So how do you know a Scotch bonnet pepper? The mature pepper measures between 1 1/2 and 2 inches in diameter. The color of the immature pepper is green, but the mature Scotch bonnet has an attractive range of colors: bright yellow, orange or red. One of the defining features of this type of pepper is its sweet aroma and unique flavor. In fact, the Scotch bonnet was the first Caribbean hot pepper to be known by a specific name in the export market."
http://www.fiery-foods.com/chiles-around-the-world/76-caribbean/88-the-scotch-bonnet-peppers-of-jamaica

I do consider there are 2 kinds of Scotch Bonnets,the hab. looking ones and true scotch bonnets,the mushroom shaped ones,.
I've heard Jamaicans refere to the Hab. looking ones as Scotch Bonnets too.
On my True Scotch Bonnet plants,some pods do look like Habs.
Not many but they do show up.
That might be why both pod shapes are called Scotch Bonnets.

Thanks for the info guys. These bonnets or whatever they are, look nothing like congos or chocolate habs. They aren't very big at all. Heat is not even close either. I got seeds from Chris,and I think he got the seeds from ajijoe.

Back