• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can seeds be used from immature peppers?

My Bhut Jolokia plant only produced a couple of peppers this season as I started it too late but the peppers are still green.
Would the seeds still be worth taking out of the peppers to grow next season or are they not mature enough since the peppers did not ripen?

pick them and see if they ripen on their own on your counter or something :) If they ripen up u should be good....a fail safe way to know is if you dry the seeds out and they turn brown or white with a dark spot in the center...thats bad seed...white solid hard seed is good seed :)

Dale Jr

I would say no, but Dale's advice sounded good. There's really only one way to tell. I have some Red Bhut seeds from PepLover, I'm pretty sure if you need some.

come to think of it, at the end of every season i till my green pods into the soil along with my plants and other compost and they always sprout but i never know what im eting from the ones i save, however i digress riper is still better, i trust seed much much more from ripe pods

thanks your friend Joe

put them in a paper bag with a ripe banana

bananas give off ethylene gas, and hastens the ripening process, you'll be amazed

edit: green= no, orange increases your chance, i took 100 seeds from orange/red pods this year and germinated them along 200 others in a controlled heated dome, 3 of the 100 sprouted, with 100% success on all others that were from ripe pods

Sometimes, unripe seeds sprout, but at a lower rate. Try Dale's route, and if you do not get the results you want PM me and I will send you good seeds. I have plenty of them and I can not grow them all.

An awesome group of people here for sure! I have been offered seeds from two members already and I appreciate that guys.

It is still sunny and in the low 70's here so maybe it will ripen up some. Time will tell.
Here is how it looks now:

TestShots011.jpg

Looks full sized to me, a majority of seeds in that pod should be good.

Immature seeds are usually easy to spot, they're smaller and tend to turn black as you're drying them, the mature seeds tend to stay white.

But those temps sound warm enough to finish the ripening process, in a week or two you should be all set.

Back