• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Can someone answer a few questions?

I want to freeze some Super Hots and Mega Hot peppers I bought. They are in the fridge right now but I need to freeze them and use them for hot sauces months from now. So I have a few questions:

If I freeze these peppers then extract the seeds when I defrost them will the seeds be able to germinate next spring? I know tomato seeds will sprout in the garden and compost pile after being frozen all winter but I don't see too many so that leaves me to believe that maybe only a tiny fraction of the tomato seeds remain capable of germinating after being frozen for months? Tomatoes and peppers originated in the tropics and are in the same family so I'd hate to freeze these and find the seeds won't sprout next March.

What are the SHU for these peppers: 7 Pot Cinder, JRGS X Yellow Moruga, SB7J and Brown Moruga?

What the heck is JRGS and SB7J and what do they mean?

Thanks,

Tom

I have been told that if you freeze new seeds that they are full of moisture and that when they freeze the expansion of the moisture will damage the seed.
I have read that the seed banks dry the seeds before deep freezing them for storage.
I always have dried them on paper towels in the kitchen for a couple weeks before putting them away for next season.  We do have HVAC so the humidity level stays low enough that they dry out.
Just my non-technical answer but it always works for me.

tjg911 said:
I want to freeze some Super Hots and Mega Hot peppers I bought. They are in the fridge right now but I need to freeze them and use them for hot sauces months from now. So I have a few questions:

If I freeze these peppers then extract the seeds when I defrost them will the seeds be able to germinate next spring? I know tomato seeds will sprout in the garden and compost pile after being frozen all winter but I don't see too many so that leaves me to believe that maybe only a tiny fraction of the tomato seeds remain capable of germinating after being frozen for months? Tomatoes and peppers originated in the tropics and are in the same family so I'd hate to freeze these and find the seeds won't sprout next March.
Click here.>Frozen Pepper seeds

tjg911 said:
What are the SHU for these peppers: 7 Pot Cinder, JRGS X Yellow Moruga, SB7J and Brown Moruga?

Sorry, no help on that.....

tjg911 said:
What the heck is JRGS and SB7J and what do they mean?

On that I have you covered.>Acronym List Revisited

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

The Acronym list helped.

It sounds like I should open the peppers that I want to save seeds from and dry them. From what I read it sounds iffy whether freezing will damage the seeds but it sounds like it will. That's what I needed to know. I never froze tomato seeds, rather I'd extract and dry them so that makes sense for peppers too. I didn't want to open them but it sounds like it is a good idea.

Thank you for your replies. This hot pepper stuff is getting addicting! I cut back my garden drastically but it looks like I'll have several pepper plants next year!

I think the varieties you listed will be either very hot or super hot.  I am growing 7 pot cinder for next year.  Anything with a super-scary name....
I have had best luck extracting seeds before freezing the remaining pods. 

Back