Can someone help on a dosage ratio for Azamax to get rid of ahpids

I used the chart that suggested a 1/2 tbs per quart and sprayed the plant from top to bottom and under the leaves only to come back a few hours later and find just as many on there as they started alive and crawling around. It was my understanding that it kills on on contact and its should only be used every 7-10 days. As much as I sprayed I figured there shouldnt be many left but there were. Did I use the wrong ratio or do I need to spray again?

Two things:
1) your assumption is incorrect.  It doesn't necessarily kill on contact.  Its active ingredient is azadirachtin, which is not a contact, but must be ingested to be effective.  
2) It is often far more effective to emulsify this product with a safe soap, prior to mixing in water.  You shouldn't have to do this with Azamax, but it doesn't hurt.  
You will need to spray again, for sure.  But you need to give it a chance to work.  Also, the repeated sprayings are to deal with the different lifecycles that various pests go through.  While they may be feeding as adults, they may not be as larva, and therefore, immune to treatment.  So you have to give them time to grow up, for maximum effect.

solid7 said:
Two things:
1) your assumption is incorrect.  It doesn't necessarily kill on contact.  Its active ingredient is azadirachtin, which is not a contact, but must be ingested to be effective.  
2) It is often far more effective to emulsify this product with a safe soap, prior to mixing in water.  You shouldn't have to do this with Azamax, but it doesn't hurt.  
You will need to spray again, for sure.  But you need to give it a chance to work.  Also, the repeated sprayings are to deal with the different lifecycles that various pests go through.  While they may be feeding as adults, they may not be as larva, and therefore, immune to treatment.  So you have to give them time to grow up, for maximum effect.

Ok thanks, I see that another plant is starting to show signs of aphids around two new growth areas. This is a larger plant and has 40-50 peppers on it. Do you recommend spot treating or should I immediately spray the whole plant?

Selest said:

Ok thanks, I see that another plant is starting to show signs of aphids around two new growth areas. This is a larger plant and has 40-50 peppers on it. Do you recommend spot treating or should I immediately spray the whole plant?

Package instructions covers that...

solid7 said:

Package instructions covers that...
Seems the insert was missing... found a copy online. For hydro... do you suggest foliar spray or add it to the reservoir water for the first signs of aphids?

Absolutely do not add it to the nutrient reservoir.  That's for nutrients only.  Spray the plants, take care not to get it into the reservoir.
Anything besides nutrient solution, raises your TDS, and can have an effect on pH.

Back