Can someone identify these chili's?

Hey guys!

Does anyone know what these chili's are? I can't for the life of me figure it out. they are small thin and long-ish, and black on the sunward side at the moment...

:edit: The first picture is another type that broke off another plant which i am now sun-ripening and hopefully colour will help me figure out what it is!

118_0133Medium.jpg

118_0130Medium.jpg

118_0129Medium.jpg

118_0127Medium.jpg

118_0126Medium.jpg

Any ideas would be nice!

First one looks like jalapeño...looks like it's corking a bit unless that's just dirt. They usually turn black in patches like that before they go red.

Second looks like cayenne to me.

1st pic,,Jalepeno
2nd pic ,,Cayenne!

Kevin

Thats weird. I have other cayenne's but they are much bigger! And to my knowledge I did not buy jalapeno's haha. I am supposed to have prairie fire, serrano, yellow and red cayenne, bhut jolokia and choc habanero... My prairies are taking their time to ripen... its irritating.

So what colour should i expect these ones here to go before i pick them?

Dangit again Kevin! Ya beat me to it, but you were way right on there with that quick clinical diagnosis. :cool:

dvg

Thats weird. I have other cayenne's but they are much bigger! And to my knowledge I did not buy jalapeno's haha. I am supposed to have prairie fire, serrano, yellow and red cayenne, bhut jolokia and choc habanero... My prairies are taking their time to ripen... its irritating.

So what colour should i expect these ones here to go before i pick them?

Most likely red for both. There are purple and black jalapeños, and yellow cayenne though.

I suppose it's possible the first one could be an abnormally shaped serrano, but there's no way it's any of the other varieties. I don't recall my serranos ever going black in patches like that though, plus they are usually a lot thinner and more bullet shaped. I really don't think it is a serrano though. Where did you get the seeds or plants?

Color, cayenne=red jalapeño=green or red (some just won't turn color)

There are several types of cayenne so you may have gotten a mix of seed....

And if the first turns out to be a serrano, I want some of THOSE seeds lol

Color, cayenne=red jalapeño=green or red (some just won't turn color)

There are several types of cayenne so you may have gotten a mix of seed....

And if the first turns out to be a serrano, I want some of THOSE seeds lol

well my other "serrano" plants are just starting to fruit, and the plant that one came off has a few more little chili's coming through now. If it does end up being serrano im sure i can arrange some seeds...

Cheers for the quick ID guys!!

neither of those are serranos! & the dark color on them is considered a chile tan from the sun.
1st chile looks like a jalapeno
2nd could be anything. cayenne is not at the top of my list cuz you're close to asia & so many asian chiles..unless cayenne chiles are very common there ?
kung pao or some other type of thai chiles, is just a guess.

cayenne is not at the top of my list cuz you're close to asia & so many asian chiles..unless cayenne chiles are very common there ?
kung pao or some other type of thai chiles, is just a guess.

Cayenne is very popular in Indian cooking, and I believe at least fairly popular in Chinese. Cayenne is used pretty much all over the world. Could be some kind of thai or kung pao though, they're pretty similar looking to cayenne. I would guess that cayenne is more popular in NZ than either of those though...

Back