• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can someone please help me identify this strain of Habanero?...

I bought a Habanero plant (seedling actually) about a 8 months ago and it just started producing beautiful peppers but to my surprise they were not the orange color I expected nor were they so much the squatty looking bell shape I am use to seeing. I know it's a Habanero but was surprised to see the more red color and the longer'ish shape. I know habaneros can range in color from the little research I've done but I am wondering if someone knows specifically what strain this is? I read about a super hot strain that is red and called a Savannah Red. Is that what this is, does anyone know? Thanks for any input.

Any other thoughts or input on whether this one was ripe or not or too ripe or whatever are welcomed. I am a total newbie but loving growing the plant and want to harvest at the best time for ultimate flavor, sweetness and of course hot'ness :hell:

1stHabiHarvest092308.jpg

Doesn't look like Red Savina or Caribbean Red. you got me there, it doesn't look like a hab to me.

I agree that it doesn't look like a habanero too... but, I bought the seedling at a well known nursery here in Camarillo, CA and it was cleary marked along with a whole tray as habaneros. Although it is possible it was incorrectly labeled and with incorrect plastic soil signs, I am more inclined to think it is a hab but of a different strain. Plus, although I am new to growing peppers (habs in particular), I know the distinct taste of a hab and believe me... this taste like a hab. I will wait for some others to ripen and see if they look any more like a classic hab shape and maybe post another pic in a day or two as they are all ripening at this point.

If it tastes like a hab, then it's probably a Chinense. still doesn't look like any hab I know... a cross perhaps?

It's really impossible to say. There are THOUSANDS of C. Chinense varieties. I can think of hundreds of species from government seed banks for example...the possibilities are endless.

Chris

Endless is more likely than thousands. There are new crosses every year. If it tastes good, don't sweat it. Hell, make up a name.

cheezydemon said:
If it tastes good, don't sweat it. Hell, make up a name.

Haha, or "if it taste good, sweat it."

To your next point... I will call these peppers...

'Camarillo Fire' :lol:

To talas' question, I will take some more photos to share for anyone who is interested.

Thanks everyone.

I'd ask the nursery what they are or do more research before you start making up names. It could be a hybrid or could be a known species. Do you have any flower pics.
BTW, the name "red fire" has already been taken

POTAWIE said:
I'd ask the nursery what they are or do more research before you start making up names. It could be a hybrid or could be a known species. Do you have any flower pics.
BTW, the name "red fire" has already been taken

I agree about randomly making up names and was only having fun. Guess I could name the killer batch of salsa I made with it. No harm with that. I actually had edited the name just ahead of your reply for the very reason that I thought it could have been already a name as Red Fire sounded too obvious so I changed it to "Camarillo Fire." Oh man... I am absolutely amazed at the taste of this pepper and the batch of salsa I made (if I don't say so myself).

I might try the nursery but this was about 8 months ago. Maybe the plastic stake is laying on the ground near where some of the other seedlings didn't make it (damn snails). I will look.

I am going to take more photos.

Is your avatar a photo you took of a pepper you grew?

I thought "rojo" was red?

Camarillo must be a subtle shade of red.

If it is important to you, research it. If you intend to sell or trade seeds, research it. Short of that, whatever makes you happy.

So here are some more photos if anyone is interested...

They are definitely habs... no mistaking that distinct taste... and what a beautiful taste (my fav pepper). I did a little more research but still have not come across any this shape. Most all I have come across are the crinkled lamp shape. Of course I know mine are by no means unique on their own but certainly not the 'common' type (or at least to my novice experience). Hope you enjoy the photos and certainly let me know if anyone has an idea of the strain. I still have not called the nursery knowing it's a shot in the dark..."Hi, I bought Habanero seedlings at your nursery about 6 months ago, would you happend to know what type they might be?" I will try calling... maybe they only carry the one strain through the year... but...

Habcloseup01lores092808.jpg

Habcloseup02lores092808.jpg

Habinsidecloseup_lores092808.jpg

Habonplantlores092808.jpg

I have been serving up fresh homemade salsa with these and my friends are asking me to make more and bring it to up coming functions which is funny cause I'm use to them asking for my wife's pasta salad but now I'm getting called on. "Step aside Christine, your husband is stepping up to the plate haha."

It looks like a hab now. there was something wrong with the first picture.
You got yourself a red hab.

Back