• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can topping early be a bad thing

All of my peppers have been getting pretty bushy, and at 7 sets of leaves I decided to top them. One thing about them was that they are very short plants, and all the new growth is extremely condensed. It looks like they are adjusting fine but I was wondering what everyones opinion on the topic would be.

Topped mine way early. (while still in 4" pots)
Topped them again violently after they got around 5' in 5 gallon buckets.
Topped my "semi-bonchi's" several times while quite small, as they will be living in very small pots on the window sill this winter.

I would prefer natural, but space constriants and a brutal climate require a more compact habit.

One caveat - you have to keep some growth nodes. IMO you should keep 4-5 growth nodes. If you cut them down too far (no growth nodes), nothing more will grow. I've found sometimes the lowest growth nodes don't always start new growth. Could be this is less of an issue with a plant as new as yours, but this certainly has happened with plants chopped at the end of the grow season.

Some context would be good.  Since you are growing indoors in an artificially lit chamber, you have to strike a balance between height and bushiness.  Having short plants that mostly shade each other instead of trying to maximize the fill of the chamber may end up limiting, and can make them hard to water if not bottom-watering... but, without pictures to see how they're filling into the available space this is only speculation.

Back