• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can you have too much flower bud in a pepper plant ( white Bhut Jolokia )

It's the first time I grow hot pepper
5 variety ( bhut , habanero, jalap, aji lemon , basket of fire ) got 4 to 8 plant of each variety
All of them looks fine and normal to me ( newbie)
But I have this " monsters" ( white bhut jolokia) that looks like he wants to conquer the word
it's not a lot bigger than my others
But it got a @&$@ load of flower bud at different stage
(I counted 19 flower bud on one node and 12 on the one right over it ( the rest of the plant is like 8 to 16 on each of the 15+ node )
All other W bhut jolokia are more like 3 to 8 flower bud on each node
Is that normal, should I remove some from each nod to help the plant ?
Or just be happy

Tks in advance for your opinions

Really new to this forum stuff , don't know how to upload photo sorry Any hint will be welcome and I'll post them

One of my aleppo plants is doing something similar but most of the blooms are dropping. Keep us posted though. I would love to see how many of those set fruit.

yea that's crazy, pods might not have enough room to form. I wouldn't worry about it though. I/m sure it will drop some. i'd be excited to see something like this as well. 

Could be spider mites.... I had an issues with one Fresno chili that did that. They eat all the new growth and stunt the buds which make the plant produce more buds. Are the leaves greeting weird?

alkhall said:
I would like to see this.

Upload pic to photo-sharing site (like imgur), copy link and post in this thread.

I was advised by BossMan of an easy way to post IMGUR pix in your posts......

The Hot Pepper said:
You can find the image, right click your mouse to "Copy image", and "Paste" in thp editor.  ;)
IafytXC.jpg

Z9fGtTP.jpg

9Tu918Z.jpg

Voila!

`
7cOysuX.jpg

Nice! I had trouble with imgur on my phone, I went to postimage . org and it let's you get the link to post here, you don't have to sign up or anything. It seems like it worked

PepperPowerG said:
Ho nice tks for the info

You're welcome!

PepperPowerG said:
look i got twins on the same plant
ziJ5OLq.jpg

I've been growing peppers since 1995, been a member of a number of forums and have never seen anything like this. Can i get the back story please? Where did the seeds come from? Did you have any idea of how prodigious it was? Do you have more of the seeds? Do you plan on "growing out" this monster? TIA!

`

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

You're welcome!

I've been growing peppers since 1995, been a member of a number of forums and have never seen anything like this. Can i get the back story please? Where did the seeds come from? Did you have any idea of how prodigious it was? Do you have more of the seeds? Do you plan on "growing out" this monster? TIA!

hi i took those seeds along with my aji , jalapeño, and some alepo , from a seller on ebay based in toccoa georgia usa ,from his 2016 harvest.( he grows a lot of or at least sell a lot of different  seeds  mainly pepper )
i won’t say the name of the sellers directly (but if you dig with the info i wrote its easy to find him)cause i dont like to advertise when im not sure of anything ( first time i buy from him so its a test so i will know only  late this season but so far so good)
he describe them (white bhut..) as « extremely productive »
and i think he is right caus all my other white bhut bears at least 3 to 8 flower buds on each node .
yes i have 8 to 10 seeds left as a backup if iam not able to pollinate some and be sure they did not cross ( were i grow them they are not protected from cross pollinisation)
i checked on ebay he still got somme
and for my plan on "growing out" this monster  ( i am french speaking so im not sure what you mean  by "growing out »)
if you mean take it inside this winter to see what he can do next year ( can be complicated this year for me)
if you mean selective breeding it  probably.

Cool I won't touch the flower buds and let the plant decide for himself
Which brings me back to my original question is there something I can do to help
the numerous pod to grow healthy ,To help the plant
( only 2 month left before fresh weather comes back ...☹️ They should be ok but I'm still insecure)
Pruning, topping ?

Plus , I wrapped 3 unopened flowers in little tea bag to try to keep his genetic true ( in case I got true seeds)
I don't even know if it's the ways to do it ( didn't had time to dig properly on the forums yet)

Any advise is good

Back