• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can you help me identify the problem?

I have these odd looking patterns appearing on the leaves of my pepper plant. Also yellowing on the outside of the leaves. Can anyone help me identify what this is?

I'm new at growing peppers or anything else for that matter. Someone gave these plants to me this spring, so I'm not exactly sure what they are. I've harvested two so far and they look like basic Cayenne chili peppers.

Attachments

• 2019-07-26 14-14-32 - IMG_20190726_130708342.jpg
    2019-07-26 14-14-32 - IMG_20190726_130708342.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 2019-07-26 14-14-45 - IMG_20190726_130656817.jpg
    2019-07-26 14-14-45 - IMG_20190726_130656817.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 86
Thank you for the responses. I did some digging based on your suggestions and found out that it is definitely ringspot (aka Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus or TSWV). This is a Tospovirus that can affect over 1,000 different species of plants, not just tomatoes. It can be present in seeds, or spread from plant to plant, human touch, nearby weeds, and smoke from burning diseased plants. But by far the most common vector is thrips. I saw these on my pepper plants when they were young, but I didn't know what they were so I didn't do anything about them. Thrips can stay buried deep in the blossoms, shielding them from pesticides and some have also developed resistance to certain pesticides. The virus is incurable and affects the entire plant, deforming and ruining the fruit. Disgusting.

Keep your pesticides organic, and they won't be able to build a resistance.  Other substances, which build up residually, can definitely lead to resistance.
I don't say "organic" because I'm some disillusioned hippie, growing veggies between tokes.  I'm just a big fan of the notion that "nature knows best", and some things (like Neem) have been working the same way for 10's of thousands of years.  I really believe that every food gardener should have a weapon like this in their arsenal.  Along with beneficial bugs, companion plants, etc, etc, etc.
And, of course, this may very well have not been your fault, at all.

I set this diseased plant out in the middle of the yard, away from everything, and just neglected it. I didn't water it or do anything to it and it has done better than my other plants. Now its full of red cayenne peppers. They're not as long as they should be, but just as fat. I read that they would be deformed, and I guess they are. My question is, would you eat them?

Here is a link that humans could possibly have antibodies to these viruses, and its not clear why.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23573274/

"People who smoke cigarettes or other tobacco products experience a lower risk of developing Parkinson's disease, but the mechanism by which this occurs is unclear." Makes me wonder if Parkinson's Disease might have some connection to plant viruses. Not sure I want to take the chance, but we all probably do everyday with lots of foods without knowing it.

Jpnc said:
I set this diseased plant out in the middle of the yard, away from everything, and just neglected it. I didn't water it or do anything to it and it has done better than my other plants. Now its full of red cayenne peppers. They're not as long as they should be, but just as fat. I read that they would be deformed, and I guess they are. My question is, would you eat them?

Posts like this just continue to amaze me about peppers.

Back