• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Can You KooC a Frozen Steak

Damn. I just learned about the reverse steak cooking method (whatever it's called...) recently. Now this? Where will this madness end?!

winland said:
If your "significant other" forgets to take the steak out of the freezer, what do you do?

Or you could just cook it fully in the microwave.  Not as tasty as conventional cooking, but it works.

Many years ago, during my bachelor days, my original George Foreman grill would cook a frozen steak or chicken tit to perfection.

Sorry if this is a drop off topic.  I just enjoy sharing my basic techniques:

I don't cook steaks much—I prefer Lamb Chops as they are fattier.  This is my technique:

Step 0.5 - Make a dipping sauce consisting of salt or Soy Sauce - mix in hot sauce or dried hot peppers.

Step 1 - Defrost in the sink 8-10 hours or until 100% defrosted.

Step 2 - Hide the smoke alarm and optionally open a window.

Step 3 - Place in a non-stick pan and fry on high for 5 minutes.  Flip and fry the other side for another 5 minutes.

I cook all the steaks and I never forget to thaw them with plenty of time to spare. If they are ever frozen to begin with.

dragon49 said:
Sorry if this is a drop off topic.  I just enjoy sharing my basic techniques:

I don't cook steaks much—I prefer Lamb Chops as they are fattier.  This is my technique:

Step 0.5 - Make a dipping sauce consisting of salt or Soy Sauce - mix in hot sauce or dried hot peppers.

Step 1 - Defrost in the sink 8-10 hours or until 100% defrosted.

Step 2 - Hide the smoke alarm and optionally open a window.

Step 3 - Place in a non-stick pan and fry on high for 5 minutes.  Flip and fry the other side for another 5 minutes.

LOL

What does cooking a fully defrosted steak have to do with this?

you can thaw a frozen steak in under 20min (idk how big a steak you cookin) by submerging it in tepid water.  water is denser than air so it transfers heat faster.

Well my London broil(not a tender cut of meat by any means) which was 3 lbs was not frozen and I tried the reverse method of the oven first and the stove top after for searing the meat on a 500* cast iron skillet. I cooked it for 45 minutes in the oven at 275* and 2 minutes per side on the skillet. It came out perfectly at medium rare and it was much more tender than I had expected it to be with this method. All I seasoned it was with Mediterranean Sea salt and lots of coarse ground black pepper. It was very tasty and will use this method again. I love experimenting in the kitchen and trying new things out.

SavinaRed said:
Well my London broil(not a tender cut of meat by any means) which was 3 lbs was not frozen and I tried the reverse method of the oven first and the stove top after for searing the meat on a 500* cast iron skillet. I cooked it for 45 minutes in the oven at 275* and 2 minutes per side on the skillet. It came out perfectly at medium rare and it was much more tender than I had expected it to be with this method. All I seasoned it was with Mediterranean Sea salt and lots of coarse ground black pepper. It was very tasty and will use this method again. I love experimenting in the kitchen and trying new things out.

Oddly enough, I bought two sections today ... one of my favorite cuts of beef overall ...

I have been cooking my steaks FROZEN for 20 years!  They're almost done!  Yaaayyy!

Seriously, I have always cooked my steaks (frozen) over hot charcoal coals using a mix of Frank's Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce and Liquid Mesquite Smoke Flavoring to drip over them.
You would not believe how wonderful these steaks taste!  They are juicy and full of flavor!  There is no better way to sear in the internal juices than to cook your steak directly from the freezer.

Gordy the Catfishnut

And the answer is, No.
It is no longer frozen once it is cooked. Cooked and frozen cannot ocupy the same time space.
You can freeze a cooked steak though.

CAPCOM said:
And the answer is, No.
It is no longer frozen once it is cooked. Cooked and frozen cannot ocupy the same time space.
You can freeze a cooked steak though.

wait_what.png

Back