• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Can you see crossbreeding the first year?

I don't understand the hybrid/crossbreeding thing much, so I was wondering if you can see the first years fruit being a cross of nearby peppers.  Is this possible or is it the seeds that are formed that are the crosses?

Thanks!  --Tom

Most current thinking is that neither pod shape nor taste change when you cross pollinate. However, there is a huge amount of lore that growing hot peppers next to sweet peppers will change the flavor of the sweet pepper.  Trying to understand how the lore could exist, I googled and googled and googled.  I came up with some really surprising studies.

Evidently research on animals is starting to show the placenta is greatly influenced by the father's dna. That is animals and we are talking plants, but still when we consider most of the heat comes from the placenta in a pepper maybe some of that garden lore isn't so nutty after all.  Makes me wonder what else science might have gotten wrong.

But I am not giving up on current thinking.  Easiest answer is the mama plant had some wonky dna in there. I refine and refine, grow seed stock in isolation, every year and always seem to have a surprise here and there.

yea... but garden lore exists because people are gullible. Take example below pic

520fa4eb5d0b3d6282f20f4474d5d288.jpg

D3monic said:
yea... but garden lore exists because people are gullible. Take example below pic
Oh damn I loved it when that meme was floating around and people kept sharing it with me.  The only one better was something about a rooster being needed for egg production.  When people buy their food from the grocery store, oh damn they get dumb.

When people buy their food from the grocery store, oh damn they get dumb.
It's funny you put it like that, because a lot of them - with reference to the more agrarian types amongst us - think that the kind of people who work so hard for so little money, and maintain such a life that keeps them constantly tied to their jobs and never able to develop a broader sense of empathy to the world around them, due to lack of meaningful exposure - because it's their life, not their job - are the "dumb" ones.

Maybe a better choice of term would be "ignorant". There a lot of ignorant people who are anything but dumb. ;)

That you are not ignorant of certain things, you should be so fortunate!

solid7, damN with a capital N.  Nope, wasn't going for 'ignorant' but you are right that 'dumb' isn't right either.  Sorry to offend and did not mean it as a serious subject, but it could be a heck of one.  Its not just groceries, its everything.  Have been fact checking memes as a hobby.  I now think 99% of what we know about the presidential candidates is complete and utter bullshit.  It just came out as groceries because of the boy n girl pepper thing.

The word ignorant implies without knowledge.  Using food as an example again, ignorant would be grocery stores not labeling with country of origin.  They don't label so we do not know.  But what seems to be going on is we are  being fed (see what I did there) false information.  The boy and girl pepper meme is just a silly.  I've had a conversation with someone who believes 'we' won the crusades.  I asked him who 'we' are and he answered 'Americans'.  Now if he did not know that the local folk ( mostly Muslim ) repelled an invasion ( mostly Christian ) over and over again ( the s at the end of the word crusade ) I would go for the word 'ignorant'.  But its more like programmed with false information to achieve a political goal. It is really frigging weird.

Weirder when it involves peppers being boys and girls.  I mean who the heck profits from screwing with people like that?  What is the motivation?  See my boggle?

Sometimes I say things thinking narrowly and it urks people.
Well, if you feel that you've honestly done or said something wrong, that's one thing. But if it's just a matter of people becoming uncentered, I wouldn't worry too much. They'll either get over it, or they won't, but the problem will still be their own.

A wise person once told me, that when people become offended at something that we've said - unless it was our stated goal to offend - the problem isn't with us, it's something unresolved within themselves. Offense is no litmus test. :)

I have placed a sweet pepper right in the middle of scorpions, reapers and other poisonous chilies and not even one of the pods ended up hot. When I opened the peppers, they were completely filled with seeds, which means they were pollinated completely. They might as well be self pollinated, but I kind of doubt it. I intend to plant the collected seeds next year and we will see the result. Peppers are great even when not hot, but they would be a blast with some heat.

So....I completely understand that cross breeding doesn't affect the crossed fruit but only the seeds from it. (I feel like I constantly have to explain this to people who think things like an orange tree next to their lemon has made the lemon tree start to grow oranges...)

But recently I was inspired by reading D3monic's crossing project, and decided to experiment a little, just for fun. Well, it took me a few tries to be delicate enough not to completely tear up the whole flower. And then figuring out how to label them and damaging or breaking off the stem...I got one to stick. It's a 7-Pot x Piquillo. And I don't know if it's just a strange coincidence or what but the crossed pod definitely looks different from the rest. The bottom is sucked in and wrinkled up.

mMwiSTI.jpg

S4Ei1LL.jpg

I get a good bit of variation with these, but this one completely outside the normal variations.
Maybe this is an ignorant idea, but could I have damaged part of the flower when removing the stamens, that would have still allowed for pollination, but grew into this weird scarred pod?

This is about an average pod from that plant. Sometimes they're more pimply, or bigger/smaller lobes.
J4CWAzb.jpg

Maybe it's just a crazy coincidence....but I thought I would share anyway.

Back