• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Can you smell your habanero plants?

I will get a pic up of it later but ive got a orange habanero just loaded with ripe pods. Maybe 20+ ripe ones ive left on for a few days. While picking some other stuff i kept smelling something. It took me a few minutes to realize its the orange habs. The smell is not just faint either. I can smell it about 20ft away downwind.

I picked some lemon drops a day or two ago and got quite a few so i knew today i would not get many. I did not pick any beans yesterday so i knew i must before they get tough. I picked one hab from another plant that has struggled all year. Its been ripe on the plant for several days. I figured i would pick it and see how it compares to the good one. Picked a couple bhur gherkins and super chiles so that im sure to have enough now for a 2 quart jar of pickles.

09-15-2016_zpsdstoc95u.jpg

charlesquik said:
damn son those green beans are long as f**k

Those are small ones. They can grow to over 30" easily. They are supposed to be Taiwan black seeded long beans from rareseeds. They produced very late for me here in Missouri which was a surprise.

Pics of the plant are on my other camera and its on the charger. I picked these today. I got 37 total but 2 were not "worthy" of a photo shoot. :D

35HaBS_zpsgkqfip7f.jpg

Over 800 grams if you include what ive frozen and used. About 500gram of ripe serrano and lemon drops. Plenty more still on the plants too but the hab plant is about done. It has 2 more almost ripe and about 6 green ones.
pepper%20Pick_zpsxy9lozsj.jpg

Only time I notice a smell is when they either got a lot of water splits from heavy rains or damn cutworms been eating holes in them. 

That is what happened i think too. I picked a few that had been ripe for several days. Several had begun to crack and 2 had pin holes in them. It was also warm that day after several days of rain. I could not smell the plant today and its cool outside. None of the ones i picked today had any holes but some are starting to have slight cracking.

Finally remembered to get the pics off my other camera.

The habanero and my super chiles are not thrilled with the cooler and wetter weather we've had lately but they are still doing ok. The temps dont seem to be bothering the ones in the ground though or my lemon drops (as much). This has been a great little plant. The propane tank next to it is a 30lb (just for reference).
IMG_0585_zpsxzipjrtd.jpg

Here is my crazy long bean trellis. Its around 7ft tall and loaded with beans.
IMG_0586_zpsbqgld7y6.jpg

Back