• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can you use a wheelie bin as a plant pot?

Simple question, can you use a wheelie bin as a plant pot?

How easy would it be having a pot on wheels that you could move around. I'm trying to think of ideas for a pot for two banana plants I just bought, and was thinking a 120 litre wheelie bin would be ideal.

Simple question, can you use a wheelie bin as a plant pot?

How easy would it be having a pot on wheels that you could move around. I'm trying to think of ideas for a pot for two banana plants I just bought, and was thinking a 120 litre wheelie bin would be ideal.

I tried this a few years ago when the council delivered one to the front door and one to the cellar door!
Just be aware that it will be very heavy! I had to make some holes in the bottom and I used lumps of expanded polystyrene in the bottom for drainage and to try and keep the weight down.

Lawrence,
Have you ever used those little Styrofoam pellets/popcorn they use as packing material filler?
I have wondered in the past if they would work out in the bottom of larger pots to take up space, facilitate drainage and reduce the overall weight.
I grow a couple banana trees in large pots every summer, and when I have to bring them indoors in the late fall, I usually have to use a dolly to move them.
I have not tried Styrofoam in the potting soil in the past out of fear that it could leach a chemical that might contaminate the plant/fruit somehow. Is that being over cautious?
Any thoughts?

Lawrence,
Have you ever used those little Styrofoam pellets/popcorn they use as packing material filler?
I have wondered in the past if they would work out in the bottom of larger pots to take up space, facilitate drainage and reduce the overall weight.
I grow a couple banana trees in large pots every summer, and when I have to bring them indoors in the late fall, I usually have to use a dolly to move them.
I have not tried Styrofoam in the potting soil in the past out of fear that it could leach a chemical that might contaminate the plant/fruit somehow. Is that being over cautious?
Any thoughts?

Yes I use that all the time. The really small Styrofoam balls that you get in bean bags is great as a vermiculite substitute to lighten the mix and increase drainage. It would be great for annual plants, less so for plants that are going to stay in the pot for a long time.
I tend to use the big packing stuff at the bottom of the pot or trough and put the soil/compost on top it also means I can use(buy) less compost.
The best bit is that you can usually get it for free!

Yes I use that all the time. The really small Styrofoam balls that you get in bean bags is great as a vermiculite substitute to lighten the mix and increase drainage. It would be great for annual plants, less so for plants that are going to stay in the pot for a long time.
I tend to use the big packing stuff at the bottom of the pot or trough and put the soil/compost on top it also means I can use(buy) less compost.
The best bit is that you can usually get it for free!
Thanks for the reply...thats really good to know.
I am definitely interested in trying it out with my banana trees(weight)next season.
Plus the savings in potting soil mix and compost that I use in my containers is quite attractive also....considering I have access to an unlimited supply of it at work.( the stuff about the diameter of my little finger)

Some areas don't allow the use of true styrofoam peanuts anymore. The packing peanuts are now made from plant starch and will biodegrade. Just so you know if you get goop running out of your plants...

Back