food Candied TS Moruga!

Just candied some TS Morugas.  Looks really good! It's totally deceiving that it is so hot.  I am planning on blending this into some homemade peanut butter.  I am hoping it gives nice heat and a little pepper flavor.  I am also hoping that since candied pepper can last a long time that it won't spoil the peanut butter prematurely.  We will see.

Looks really nice!  I don't see seeds or pulp.  Care to share what you did?  There's a thread here on THP somewhere about candy-ing chiles. 

Once candied, the chile is essentially preserved, shouldn't spoil the peanut butter.

I basically followed the method outlined in this link.  I seeded the peppers before adding, but didn't remove the placenta.  Its kinda cool that as they cook they just start to become translucent and really thin.

Very nice! And yes…. the heat can sneak up on you. I hard-candied some fataliis and found myself mindlessly nibbling on them, while doing homework once, and didn't notice the heat so much until I had some stuck in my teeth. Had to laugh hard at myself that night. You should enjoy yours - DaQ is an excellent cook and teacher.

That's the thread I was thinking of.  It works well, I've used it for habaneros.  It is cool how they get translucent.  :cool:  I put the candies habaneros in small jars with metal seal lids and gave them a quick hot water bath to seal the jars.  Excellent for little gifts and they look cool.  I remember when geeme did those fataliis.  :lol: 

So it is really good in peanut butter.  However, there is a threshold on how much of the candied pepper you can put in and still maintain a peanut butter texture.  I put in a good amount and I thought it was good and it was nice and creamy.  My wife said it wasn't hot enough so I added probably double the amount.  Once I did that it is still good but has a doughy texture regardless of oil I add.  I'll have to fight the temptation to add more next time.

Back